Chapter 19

After the others left to class, it was only Viola and Boris. The nurse had gone to get more medicine.

"I wasn't tired. Not at all. Right after I saw Candy, everything went completely black." Viola murmured, looking dazed. Boris didn't like the looks of this. Not at all.

"Maybe Candy did something to you? That's the only thing I can think of. I'm sorry I didn't notice sooner if not." He replied, looking down as if he were a dog that was ashamed of himself for tearing up something.

"Don't be. Even if not, I'm fine now. If it happens again when she's around, we'll know it's her. Okay?" She said this gently. Boris looked like he wanted to explode, but not from anger at her.

"I'll make sure it doesn't happen again! It's my job, and even if it weren't I would! I've known you for a long time, and you've dealt with too much to go through any more!" Boris yelled. He flopped to the floor, his head still down. Viola wondered what he meant by 'a long time'. Six days (including the three she slept through) didn't seem that long. And how would he know what she's been through?

He sighed.

"I'm so sorry. I'm not like this. I feel like I'm not myself anymore. I should probably tell you what I meant. Please don't take this the wrong way." He said, his head still down. "When familiars are assigned to their masters, they're only about five years old. Until their masters realize their power, the familiars can't reach them. So we watch you. We train, and then we make sure you're doing okay. See what's going on, how you'll handle it, how not to offend you. We are forced to watch after you. And if you get in trouble, we can't help you unless you've realized what you can do. That doesn't mean I know everything about you. I couldn't even protect you before you turned fourteen. But I was forced to watch you suffer. They do this so that teams are more compatible. I don't agree with it. At all. Please don't think I'm a stalker." He said. Something fell from his face.

"Boris. It's not your fault. And I know you aren't a stalker, even though when you went from wolf to human for the first time you scared me. I did not expect that. And either way, we are still friends, and a team, whether we are familiar and master or not. And I don't like using the word master." She said, getting out of the bed and sitting down in front of Boris. She sat still for a moment. She then wrapped her arms around him in a hug, his head pressed into her shoulder. Her sleeve felt wet.

"Everybody needs some one to lean on, everybody needs a place to cry, you don't always know where you're going, but you're looking for it every time." She sang quietly, speaking the truth.

AN~

Okay, I know, I know, I haven't updated TAO in forever, but at least I did with a good chapter.

Speaking of which, how was this chapter? What a touching moment..... :')

So now we see that even Boris has a soft side. And to be perfectly honest, I like it this way. Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing it,

~ Alice Invidie