Chapter 4

Viola look at the empty corridor curiously, looking for her room. The floor was made of dark brown wooden planks, and the walls were white, with small blue flowers. Boris whined and looked at Viola.

"What is it, Boris? Is some one there?" she looked at the dog nervously and stopped walking. The dog sat at her feet, whined and barked loudly.

"Boris! Shhhh!" She hushed him and gasped as she heard footsteps running down the hall. Boris bristled and stood, baring his white canines threateningly. His tail went up as he lowered his head to the ground. A low grumble emanated from his throat, producing a deep snarl.

"The footsteps are getting closer...." Viola thought, bracing herself for who ever or what ever it was running towards them. Her heart in her throat (although she didn't remember eating a heart. In fact, she didn't remember eating anything that day.) she put her arms in an x in front of her, signaling that she didn't want to fight, but would if she had to. She now saw the shadow of what looked like a demon, with sharp claws and spiked hair.

Instead of the demon she was expecting a boy her age ran down the hall towards her, grabbing her hand a dragging her with him.

"Run!" He said. Boris was nowhere to be seen, and Viola wondered if he had just stayed in the hall.

The boy opened a narrow door and pushed Viola in. He then climbed into the closet and shut the door.

"What was that all about?" Viola managed to ask through her shallow breathes.

"Wolf..." He said. "A wolf.... I thought they were extinct...." He gasped. Viola now realized what was going on. She heard Boris's snarl on the other side of the door, then heard a loud thud as Boris hurled himself at the door. When that didn't work, she heard a clawing sound on the door, then saw Boris's claws go through the door as he shredded the closet door.

Viola grabbed the door handle and started to turn it.

"Don't! It'll kill you!" The boy yelled and grabbed Viola's arm.

"That's my familiar! He's trying to get to me!" She retorted, opening the door. Boris then sat and shook his tail when he saw her, then looked at the boy and snarled. The boy had blond shaggy hair and bright blue eyes. Viola patted Boris on the head to calm him, and eventually the dog stopped growling, but still glared at the boy.

"So what's your name?" Viola asked, her hand still on the dog's head.

"I'm Jack. It's nice to meet you, I think. I haven't seen you around here before. Are you the new transfer everyone's talking about?" Jack asked, looking more calm than before, but still aware that Boris was trying to burn holes through his head with his eyes.

"Yes. I'm Viola, and the glaring wolf is my familiar, Boris." Viola said, and then saw a rat peak out of Jack's sleeve.

"This is Candy. She won't bite, unless she thinks your threatening to me." He said, picking up the small rat and putting it on his shoulder. "She's tame, but her bite hurts, from what I've seen." Jack said. The rat seemed to be observing Viola, for she was looking at her quietly, and seemed to deem that Viola was safe to be around. Until she spotted Boris, who had started snarling again, glaring at Candy silently.