25|Butterflies|

"Hey, Wangji-Xiong, you came. "

"Mm"

Lan Wangji entered the library pavillion and made his way to his table. 'You are suspiciously early today'. He sat down on his desk and picked up his Buddhist scripture to read. From the corner of his eyes he could see Wei Wuxian bend over his table and concentrating on writing.

"Today is the final day of your confinement punishment. Refrain from any further mischief. "

"I haven't done any mischief. "

Wei Wuxian replied with an innocent smile and continued his scribbling. Lan Wangji gave him one more glance and then started reading his book. He waited for sometime for any kind of mischief from Wei Wuxian but nothing came. He lifted his gaze to see Wei Wuxian who is fully concentrated on his papers. He could not help but ask.

"Today no butterflies? "

"Huh? "

Wei Wuxian raised his head to meet Lan Wangji's eyes. He laughed at the confused expression on the Jade's face for sometime. Wei Wuxian's laughter made Lan Wangji feel like a fool for asking that, like he was begging for trouble. He continued to stare at the laughing figure with furrowed eyebrows.

"Sorry sorry. Your face is just... It's nice to look at. Haha.
I gave them rest today. They are very tired from disturbing you everyday. "

Satisfied with the answer Lan Wangji went back to reading his book. His ears were bright red at the compliment that he suddenly got from Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian laughed some more and then went silent as he worked on his paper.

Lan Wangji was getting restless as the time went by. Wei Wuxian was not talking and not causing trouble. 'Something feels wrong. Too silent. ' Surprising himself Lan Wangji spoke again.

"They listen to you."

It was a statement. Lan Wangji knew Wei Wuxian would understand what he was saying. Lan Wangji watched as Wei Wuxian quite uncharacteristically placed the brush gently onto it's holder and looked up to meet his eyes. Wei Wuxian stayed silent for sometime, searching Lan Wangji's face to find something. 'Fuddy duddy is starting conversations. I never thought I would see this day. '

" Ah. Lan Zhan. What will I do with you?"

Wei Wuxian giggled and Lan Wangji's eyebrows furrowed. 'What will you do with me?' He stayed silent as he watched Wei Wuxian walk over and a few butterflies came into view flying around Wei Wuxian. They flew towards Lan Wangji leaving a trail of silver dust.

These Deathly Spirit butterflies were now a constant part of Lan Wangji's daily life. Everyday Wei Wuxian sent them his way to disturb his reading and writing. He had tried to swat them away but to no avail, only causing Wei Wuxian to laugh loudly at his actions.

Wei Wuxian sat down near Lan Wangji's desk, he propped his elbows on the table and watched Lan Wangji intently. Feeling the eyes on him, Lan Wangji turned to look at Wei Wuxian, who had few butterflies sitting on his hair and one on his nose like usual. Lan Wangji blinked his eyes few times and Wei Wuxian smiled at him.

"How about I tell my Lan-Er-Gege a story? "

Wei Wuxian asked leaning closer. Lan Wangji gulped as he felt his ears heating up again once again. 'Your? .....Ah! I need to do something. What is it? He asked a question, right. I should say the answer. '
Lan Wangji blinked slowly and nodded his head. Wei Wuxian threw his head back and laughed making all the butterflies sitting on him fly around the two of them.

After wiping away the tears with his sleeves Wei Wuxian sat straight, with perfect posture. Lan Wangji stared at Wei WuXian with an expressionless face but his eyes extremely soft.

"Hey Lan Zhan, do you know about my parents? "

Lan Wangji slowly nodded his head. He had heard from his uncle about the terrifying similarities between Wei Wuxian and his mother. He also knew that Wei Wuxian's parents died many years ago during a terrible night hunt and Wei Wuxian somehow disappeared along with them. This had made all of them think that he was dead. But here he was alive and well, which was indeed quite a mystery.

"My parents died when I was five."

Wei Wuxian said, while playing with two butterflies. Lan Wangji looked at his face for any sign of discomfort but found none. He hummed his response and then Wei Wuxian looked up, locking thier eyes. 'Looks like I have to tell fuddy duddy the truth. ' Wei Wuxian smiled at Lan Wangji and continued.

"Right before her death , my mother she prayed to the heavens to keep me safe. And you know who heard her prayer? "

Wei Wuxian asked in an intriguing way making Lan Wangji more and more curious. Suddenly Wei Wuxian stood up, smiled excitedly and said.

"The Heavenly Martial Emperor, The Flower Crown Martial God, The Crown Prince of Xian Le kingdom. Taizi Dianxia. Xie Lian. "

Wei Wuxian finished his description by standing in a pose in front of Lan Wangji. His right hand pointing his sword, Suibian at Lan Wangji and in his left holding a bunch of silver flowers made by the wraith butterflies and many butterflies flying around him.

Lan Wangji watched, his mouth slightly open. ' Wei Ying. You look....' He could see Wei Wuxian's respect and adoration for this God. He had heard about the Crown Prince of Xian Le kingdom somewhere in his lessons, how he gave up Godhood for his kingdom and common people.

"Hey Lan Zhan. Look at me. "

Lan Wangji looked up at Wei Wuxian face, who now had a very neutral expression. His sword, unsheathed and held close to his hip. His right eyes closed and his right hand behind his back. Wei Wuxian had raised his chin a little higher and said.

"His husband. Crimson Rain Sought Flower. The Supreme Ghost King. Hua Chengzhu of the Ghost city. Hua Cheng. "

Lan Wangji felt like he must bow down to Wei Wuxian now or perhaps clap his hands. He continued to stare at Wei WuXian's face as he sheathed his sword and placed it on Lan Wangji's desk. Wei Wuxian sat down on his usual place, the floor near Lan Wangji's table. He smiled and said while his hands demonstrated the scenes.

"Both of them set out in the middle of the night to Yiling to fulfill my mother's final prayer. And then they searched the entire Yiling market for me. Then... "

"Eleven years later , now here I am being supervised by Lan-Er-Gongzi while I write my punishment. How pitiful."

Wei Wuxian finished his story and sighed. Lan Wangji was at a complete loss of words, he was made speechless countless times by Wei Wuxian. This breaks all the previous records set by Wei Wuxian himself. Somehow without even telling Lan Wangji understood that this was a secret and he felt warm and  fuzzy and 'something in his stomach' thinking that Wei Wuxian had trusted him enough to tell him this.

Lan Wangji blinked at Wei Wuxian while his brain searched for words to say as a reply to this story. Wei Wuxian stayed silent waiting for Lan Wangji's reaction. There was a high chance that Lan Wangji would never belive this story and then proceed to say "boring" or "pathetic" whichever one he chose.

Wei Wuxian found only more curiosity in Lan Wangji's eyes. Lan Wangji opened his mouth to say something then closed, then again opened and finally said, nodding to himself.

"Butterflies. So they do listen to you? Good. "

Now it was Wei Wuxian's turn to blink at Lan Wangji. He stared at Lan Wangji for sometime to check if he was making fun of him. But no, he was not so Wei WuXian started laughing. He knocked on the table with his hands and laughed like a madman. Lan Wangji was even more confused now 'why are you laughing now?'  Without asking the question, Lan Wangji got the answer.

"Lan-Er-Gege. Hahaha
I told you my entire story. With Gods and Ghost Kings and my grumpy uncles. And yet you talk about the butterflies. How cute are you? Don't you want to know anything else?"

Lan Wangji shook his head making Wei Wuxian laugh even more. A small smile formed on Lan Wangji's lips which Wei WuXian missed because he was busy rolling around on the ground in laughter. Lan Wangji picked up his book and continued reading.