After Dark (3)

--chapter 3--

Brooke Hale

So,  this is Forks. It's quite nice actually. Quiet, peaceful... it's perfect! Now, to find Bella. 

I drove to the address I was given. It was a small wooden house, half-surrounded by the neighbouring forest. I got out of my heated car, and stepped out into the cold. I think it snowed last night because the ground is icy and slippery. I knocked three times on the wooden door. 

A man, a bit taller than me, answered the door. He had slightly messy black hair, and a moustache. He seemed to be around his forties. I figured he was a police officer by the way he was dressed.

"Good afternoon." I said in my 'profesional' voice. "Is this the Swan residence?"

He frowned slightly like he was expecting bad news. 

"Yes..." he said reluctantly.

"Is Isabella Swan here?"

"No, she... uh... moved."

I got curious. "Where?"

"Just a few miles from town. C'mon in, I'll draw you a map."

The first thing I saw when I walked inside was an untidy living room. There were a few cans tossed around, the television was showing a soccer game (Manchester United versus Tottenham Hotspur), dirty dishes piling up in the sink... a typical bachelor pad. 

He noticed my analyzing of his space and coughed self-conciously.

"My name's Charlie by the way" He said while working on the map. It was a rough drawing, but quite simple.

"Thank you so much!" I smiled at him after he gave me the map.

"Your welcome. Now, what do you want it for?"

"Oh! My name's Brooke Hale, I'm one of Bella's friends from Florida. I wanted to surprise her before she goes to university."

"Well, good luck with that." The second I said that, Charlie looked at me with fear and concern. Like he knew something I didn't.

He scratched his head nervously and motioned politely towards the door.

When I wished him goodbye, Charlie gave me one last sorrowful look.

As I geared up my engine and started to back out of the parking, I wondered: Why did he wish me good luck? 

Forks is a nice, quiet town... with loads of mysterious people living in it.

*****