After Dark (44)

--chapter 44--

Bella Cullen

I can't believe her! She didn't come to Forks to 'visit me' or 'for research' like she had told all of us. She's here to kill werewolves. For personal gain. I'm not sure if I believe her about all this 'vamp-wolf' stuff. For all I know, she could be a werewolf! Except maybe she was telling the truth. But, the bottom line is, we have to stop her before she kills any one else and gains full power.

I rushed into our house to see Edward and Renesmee sitting on the sofa watching a movie. Edward saw my face and got worried.

"Bella, what's wrong?" He was by side in an instant and held my shoulders. Renesmee looked worried as well.

"It's Brooke." I said.

"What happened?" Edward's expression turned to anger. "What did she do?"

"Nothing. It's what she said." I replied.

"What did she say?" Edward asked.

I looked up at him. "She's here to..." I broke off. Renesmee. She'll be so heartbroken.

"To what Mum?" She asked.

"To... to..." I took a deep breath. "To kill werewolves."

Edward looked calm again until Renesmee spoke up.

"What?! Mum, we have to stop her! I know she's your friend and all, but this is murder." She exploded and started crying. "I've been horrible to him! I was only thinking of myself! And now he's..."

"No! No, no, no. Nessie, Jake's still alive." I sat down next to her and put my arm around her shoulders.

"Really?" Her mascared-stained face looked up at me.

"Yes." I smiled.

"So, what do we do about her? Before she kills everyone off." She asked.

"Well, from what she told me, she's only here to kill one." I replied.

"Anyone in particular?" She asked.

"I don't think so. As long as it's a werewolf." I said.

"Then we're only left with one choice, and that's to kill her." Renesmee announced.

"Look, honey, we don't know how strong she is." I said.

"We don't even have to kill her, just kick her out of Forks." Edward said.

"We can do that?" Renesmee asked him. I looked at him too. Could we really do that? I mean, she could come back whenever she wants to, it's not like we have an entire army guarding our small town.

"I'm not sure. Like your mother said, we don't know how strong she is." Edward admitted.

"That's why the killing idea is way better! We'll be able to get rid of her once and for all! As for the we-don't-know-what-to-expect factor, we have eight vampires, ten werewolves and one half-vampire half-human. How could she possibly beat us all?" Renesmee asked. I had to admit, she had a point.

"Actually, there are now nine werewolves. I forgot to inform you that Brady was killed." Edward said.

"By what?" I asked. Brady was so young, around fourteen or fifteen.

"He got shot and attacked by an animal." Edward replied.

 "Are you sure? Maybe Brooke could have... you know... killed him." Renesmee said.

"I don't think so. She said she had one more to go tonight. And Brady was killed a few days ago." Edward said.

"I think we should kill Brooke." Renesmee said.

Edward looked at me for a while, waiting for an answer to that statement. It was wierd how they were all asking me for the approval, then I remembered that I said 'no' before. I bet they're dying to tell me 'I told you so'.

I nodded. It seems like the only way to stop her.

But, was killing one of my best friends the only way? I mean, she does only need one werewolf. Just one.

*****