After Dark (15)

--chapter 15--

Renesmee Cullen

Ugh, first day of school. I thought as I got out of my bed. The wall clock read 07:32AM. Oh my gosh! I'm late! I rushed into the bathroom, took a shower and brushed my teeth. I went into my walk-in-closet and picked out my outfit for today. Dark blue skinny jeans, a white top, and a light yellow sweater. I grabbed a pair of silver sandals and my favourite bracelet (a silver chain with a small wolf pendant) and ran into the kitchen.

"You're late." Daddy said as I poured myself a glass of juice and a bowl of cereal.

"Yeah, yeah, I know." I looked at the kitchen clock. 07:46AM. Great. I have fourteen minutes to finish, get my bag and get to school. 

Just then, Mum walked into the kitchen. "Morning Nessie." She said and tried to kiss me on my forehead, but I was already out of the room.

"Sorry! I'm REALLY late Mum!" I added. I grabbed my dark brown bag from its usual place in the living room.

"See you later Aunt  Rose and Uncle Emmett!" I shouted from the bottom of the stairs. I knew they could hear me even if I whispered it, but whatever.

"Okay, I'm ready!" I told Mum and Daddy.

"Let's go." Daddy replied and got the keys.

They both insisted on dropping me 'cause it's my 'first day of school' and stuff. I'm not a kid you know! I wanted to drive myself but noo... But oh well. What can I do? I fiddled with the different badges on my bag on the ride to school. We took five minutes because Daddy was driving abnormally fast. I was used to his speed, but this, this was too much!

We pulled up to Forks High School into our parking spot. It didn't exactly say "Cullen" on the asphalt, but no-one else parked there, or near it for that matter. We were basically avoided. Mum and Dad has it easier. They had Aunt Alice, Rosalie, Uncle Jasper, Emmett to hang out with. I'm here all alone. There's this girl called Kelly, who's sort of my friend, but I don't think her friends like me much.

"We're here Nessie." Mum said softly.

"Ok. See you later. I love you." I told them.

"We love you too." Daddy said. And they drove off.

I walked to the entrance to the school. It was cold so I clutched my sweater closer to me. Sometimes being half-human sucked. As I walked to the Science lab, I bumbed into someone.

"I'm sorry." A very cute someone said and turned around. It was Ryan Frost. He was an 11th grader who most of the 10th grade girls liked. But the down side is that he has a girlfriend, Crystal Turner. She's looks really nice and fun to hang out with, but she gets really nasty when other girls flirt with him. I looked around to see if Crystal was nearby.

Ryan laughed. "Crystal's not coming to school today. I think she has a cold or something."

"Oh," I relaxed.

"So, Renesmee, what's the latest from you?"

I couldn't believe this. Why is he talking to me like we've been friends for years?

"Uh, everything's been okay. What about you?"

"Same old, same old." He smiled. We stood there awkwardly for a while. "I think we should head to class." Ryan spoke up.

"I have Chemistry next."

"Well look at that! Me too!" He laughed.

Ryan was waayy more lively than last term. Maybe it's because this is the only actual time he's talked to me. Lots of people were staring at us as we walked down the halls. It was kind of unnerving. I was used to blending into the crowd. As we walked, Ryan talked about all sorts of random things and I added a few 'mm-hmm's and 'yeah's where neccesary.

"Here we are." He said as we entered the Science lab.

I sat in my usual window seat, just two chairs from the back. Ryan sat next to his friends, right in the middle. This is a wierd first day of school. I thought as the Mr. Widner started teaching.

***

At lunch, I looked around awkwardly while holding a food laden tray. Hmm... 'where to sit?' was the real question on my mind.

Ryan walked over to me and said, "Here," He took my tray "I saved you a seat."

We walked over to his lunch table. The only people there were Pete Johnson, Kiera Harrington and Crystal Turner (oh, so she was in school today). Pete and Kiera waved and smiled at me. He had ruffled dark brown hair and blue eyes. She had a darker shade of skin, black hair and dark brown eyes. They were caught up in their own conversation. Crystal forced a smile to me. She probably heard rumours about Ryan and I.

"So," Crystal started off as we sat down. "What's your family like?" A bit too personal for small talk, but it gives me a chance to fit in!

"Well, we're not the average family you see around." In more ways than one I added to myself.

"How?" She was clearly interested.

"Um... most of us were adopted." It wasn't a COMPLETE lie!

"Oh. I was hoping for something like you are on of those families with HUGE secrets! You know, like maybe you killed someone and your whole family is trying to hide the body, and you're all freaked out that one of you is gonna tell the authorities, so you all walk on eggshells around each other or other people." Crystal blabbered. I now understand how Ryan seems so quiet, its because Crystal talks most of the time.

I laughed. "We're not that interesting."

"Oh I think you are." Crystal smirked.

"What about your families?" I asked them.

"I live with my sister, Krista. She works in Port Angeles and has her own flat there, so she comes on the weekends." Crystal answered.

"I live with my dad. My mum died five years ago." Ryan said sadly.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I said.

Crystal hugged him. I felt so sorry for him. I wouldn't know what I would do if Mum died. But she's immortal so theres less of a chance of that.

"Anyway," Ryan said as she broke away from the hug. "How about we all go for a movie this weekend?"

"Sure, I have nothing to do." I said.

"Okay, so the three of us?" Crystal asked.

"Yeah, this is gonna be fun." Ryan smiled.

*****