After Dark (45)

--chapter 45--

Brooke Hale

Great. Now she hates me. I have no idea why anyway. They're just werewolves. Our mortal enemies if I may add. I don't care about this 'treaty' they made long time ago. Anyway, the Cullens have already broken it, but those dogs are too dumb to see that they've been bamboozled. I mean, the treaty clearly states that the Cullens and the wolves will live in peace, providing that the Cullens hunt on their territory and that they should not change anyone else into a vampire. So... what about Bella? And her half-vampire child Renesmee? I say the Cullens are lucky that Bella and Jacob are close friends and that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee. So, Jacob Black is the problem. You know, I'm actually helping people out. The wolves won't have anyone to stop them from killing the Cullens, and they won't have a problem fighting back because Bella and Renesmee don't have anyone to protect.

Speaking of Jacob, I arrived at his house at around two o'clock. Or three. Or four. I wasn't really sure because the weather around here generally stays the same.

Jacob came out of his small wooden home and greeted me with a huge smile and a hug.

"Hey Jacob." I said smiling back.

"Please, just call me Jake." He replied.

"Okay then, Jake, shall we go now?"

"Uh, sure." He said and led me into the forest.

We were supposed to go on a hike that day. It wasn't freezing cold which was a good sign. I have no problem with the weather, but I'd still have to wear a significantly amount of clothing to keep up with my 'Just A Human' look. And Jake fell for it easily.

We headed deeper and deeper into the woods, and the trail became worse, so I began to feel a bit worried.

"Uh, Jake... where are we going?" I asked.

"It's a bit far, I know. But it will be worth it once we get there." He answered, not bothering to turn back.

I tried reading his mind, but it was blocked by something. And the harder I tried to penetrate it, the worse of a headache I got. Eventually, I gave up and carried on.

We entered a large clearing. It wasn't pretty like the other one, this one looked like it hadn't seen rain for weeks. The grass was a pale yellow, but the trees surrounding the place were green and healthy. The flowers were also dried up, no hint of their former colour.

"This is what you wanted to show me?" I asked. "This was the big surprise?"

"No," Renesmee stepped out of the trees. "We were." She had a cocky smile on her face. Like she'd finally cornered me or something.

"What?" I turned to Jake. "What's going on?"

He didn't answer. Jake just slowly walked back so Renesmee and I were left facing each other (from around ten meters away).

"What the hell is going on?!" I asked Renesmee.

"The jig is up Brooke." She said. "We know what you are, and what you came here hoping to do. And we won't allow it."

This scene and Renesmee's words and serious face made it seem quite funny to me.

"You and what army?" I asked with a smile.

Just then, Bella, Edward, Emmett, Rosalie, Carlisle, Esme, Alice, Jasper along with eight werewolves walked out from behind her. They formed a semicircle shape behind Renesmee.

I for one was flattered, they went through all this trouble for me. Aww, they're so sweet.

"Brooke, we are asking you calmly. There's no need for a fight." Renesmee started off.

Yeah right. Emmett's clenching and unclenching his fists right now. I thought.

"All we need you to do, is to leave Forks." She finished off.

I snorted. "Make me."

"We will. But we don't want this to end badly... for us. So we're asking you to leave. Now." Renesmee said.

"Aww... and I was hoping to spend Christmas with you guys." I said with a pretend sad face. "Anyway, why d'you want me to go so badly?"

"Because of the deaths." She said.

"Who'd I kill?" I asked.

"Well... you haven't killed them...  yet." She said nervously.

"So, you're accusing me of murder, without me doing anything." I smirked.

Renesmee looked beaten, until Edward spoke up. "Seth says you did kill someone." He said.

I narrowed my eyes at the sandy-coloured wolf. He backed away slightly, a light-grey wolf growled.

"You killed Brady." Edward confirmed.

"And...?" I added.

"You, you killed him!" Jake said alarmed.

"I-I didn't mean to Jake. It was a mistake." I walked over to him. "You believe me, don't you?"

"She sucked his blood Jake! She's not who she told you she is!" Renesmee said.

Jake looked at me with such disgust and pushed me away. I fell to the ground. "Filthy bloodsucker." He said and walked away.

I stood up again. Okay, this is war. I rushed over to him and tilted his head so that his neck was expossed. Renesmee knew my intentions and shoved me away from him. I guess the others saw the death look I gave her and stepped foward to protect her.

*****