After Dark (51)

--chapter 51--

Crystal

After we left the Cullen's house, Brooke and I hurried to the hotel and packed a few things. Well, Brooke had a small bag while I had a whole suitcase.

"You're carrying all that?" She asked.

"It's Italy!" I defended myself.

She clearly didn't seem in the mood for arguing so Brooke just shrugged and continued talking to someone on the phone. I guess she was getting the plane tickets.

I really have no idea why we are going in the first place, but I heard something about 'Volturi'. Sounds creepy. Maybe they are some kind of vampire officials or something.

I zipped my hot pink suitcase and said, "Ready!" and we left for the airport.

***

We arrived at seven in the evening, thank God, we didn't need any complications, like that wierd sparkling thing my skin does when I'm out in the sun.

Brooke rented a car, nothing too flashy (we didn't need the extra attention) just a black Audi A4. Kinda looks like mine back in the US.

"Where exactly are we going?" I asked when we were in the car. Brooke was driving.

"A nice small town called Volterra. You need to keep your guard up, the Volturi don't like vampires feeding in their area." She replied.

"Who are the Volturi?"

"They're like vampire royals. The coven has lots of 'gifted' vampires, and their constantly trying to add new members."

"Why isn't Bella, Edward, Renesmee or you part of them?"

"We said no. But they don't like being denied. By the way, this is the plan, I talk, you stand there and look humble. Like you mean no harm. If they ask you something, I will tell you what to say, so keep your mind open."

"O-kay..." I said uneasily. Whenever Brooke went into 'plan' mode, it was something important, and slightly dangerous.

***

Volterra was a peaceful place at night. There were yellow, dim lights showing from the curtained windows of the houses. Brooke told me that the people here hated vampires, even if they were ruled by some (but the humans never knew), so they never left the house when darkness fell.

Brooke stopped the car next to a huge intricately designed building. I guessed this is the Volturi's 'home'. Before we could even knock on the large door, someone opened it. 

They were two vampires. One, a small blonde girl. The other was a tall, heavily built man. They both had deep red irises. I was totally creeped out by them.

"Well, this is a surprise." The blonde girl said.

"I felt like stopping by." Brooke replied.

"You know that you're not welcome here." The tall guy said.

"I know." Brooke smirked.

"Very well..." The girl turned around and walked into the darkness. Brooke motioned for me to follow her, while the guy walked behind us.

*****