After Dark (4)

--chapter 4--

Jacob Black

As I did my usual patrol on the reservation, I steered off course to Forks near Charlie's house. 

I just watched from the woods, not wanting to face him since I told him about being a werewolf. He was pretty freaked out the night I told him, and he looks a bit troubled now. 

As I got closer to the house, I picked up an unusual scent. Not human... not werewolf... not vampire... Charlie?! No. It can't be. His human scent is strong, but you can still sniff out the foreign scent. The person was here a few hours ago, and they went inside the house. It could be the same person who attacked the rest. Definately NOT any of the Cullens, I'd recognize their odour anywhere.

"Hi."

I spun my large werewolf head back.

"Calm down Jake. It's only me." Renesmee said.

She stroked my fur softly.

I moved my head slightly towards her house, motioning for her to go back.

"In a minute, I wanted to see you in action. You know, other girls see their boyfriends as a waiter or salesperson. But for me, I'm watching you be all 'alpha wolf'."

I shrugged my shoulders.

We watched Charlie walk into the kitchen with an empty plate and place it carefully on the tilting pile of dishes. He began to go back to the living room, but stopped halfway and turned around to face the sink again. He seemed to be debating whether or not to wash them. He chose not to.

Since Renesmee's hand was in contact with my fur, I saw the images that were playing in her head.

Stuff like small kids running to hug their grandparents, and playing with each other.

I rubbed my head softly against her.

"I've always wanted to meet him. He is family after all. I wonder why I can't just go over and say 'Hi'." Renesmee said sadly.

I looked up at her.

"Well, I know the reason, but... I guess I'm in denial that I am half-vampire."

Silence. There was nothing to watch because Charlie had gone back to the other room and resumed watching the soccer game. From what I heard ('Drogba passes the ball', 'Fabregas shoots', 'What a wonderful save from Petr Cech') I guessed that it was Chelsea versus Arsenal.

"Anyway, are you any closer to finding the culprit for all the deaths?" Renesmee asked.

I shook my head and she sighed.

"Since there's a killer out there, I should be getting home. See you later Jake." She said and hugged my neck.

I took one last sniff of the air, but oddly enough, the foreign was gone.

Whatever it is that's terrorizing the town, will be stopped. But I know it's not going to be an easy battle.

*****