After Dark (42)

--chapter 42--

Renesmee Cullen

If 2x+4=3y-1 what is the value of x and y?

Whatever number of times I read this, I still couldn't understand. Anyway, even if I fail math, they can't tell me that my life will be ruined because I can start over... and over and over. I opened my teen magazine and started reading. Ahh, something that actually matters.

Then I heard a knock on the door.

"Nessie, are you in there?" Mum asked from the other side of the door. I knew she knew I was in here, she could here my heartbeat from all the way downstairs.

I shut the magazine and hid it under my maths exercise book. 

"C'mon in." I said.

When they came in, I could just imagine the scene I potrayed. The perfect daughter. Here I am, sitting at my neat desk head buried in schoolbooks, trying to learn as much as possible.

"Nice try." Dad said as he pulled the magazine from under my book.

"How did y--" I started of, then I remembered. He can read my thoughts. Also the fact that a brightly coloured corner was sticking out from under my dull white-with-blue-lines maths book. Sometimes it sucked having your dad being able to read your every thought.

"So, what's up?" I asked them. Mum sat on the edge of my bed, while Dad stood next to her.

"You've been seeing alot of Ryan lately." Mum pointed out.

"Yeah, so...?" I prompted.

"There's nothing wrong, we were just wondering what happened to Jacob." Mum said.

"Your mother was wondering." Dad added. I knew he didn't mind seeing less of Jake. They had a bad history after all. Sure it was years ago, but they don't want to forget.

"I don't know what happened to him. Did he have an accident or something?" I asked.

Mum stifled a laughter. "No, I was wondering why we haven't seen him around here in almost three months." Three months?! It seemed more like a two weeks.

"I really don't know. I just started hanging out with Ryan and we saw less of each other." I said.

Mum nodded.

"Why were you asking?" I asked.

"Well, Jacob imprinted on you Nessie. It's kind of a permanent thing." Mum said.

"Yeah, I know but we're basically talking about eternity here mum. That's a long time! I can't stick to one guy for forever any more than I can stick to one phone for six months." I said. It was true. I mean, I have a kinda short attention span. It's the human side of me I guess.

"In the end it's also your decision, no one's forcing you to do anything." Mum assured me.

"Wait, werewolves can't change their imprinting partner?" Dad asked Mum.

"I have no idea. Maybe it's never happened before." Mum shrugged.

They continued about the subject. I was paying more attention to the way a pen looks wiggly when you hold it loosely and move it up and down.

"Look," I told them. "You can say whatever you want. But right now, I really think it's going good between Ryan and I, so Jake can wait."

"Okay." Mum said and left the room with Dad.

She didn't seem dissapointed. She sounded like she really cared about Jake and was trying to look for a compromise. Three months?! I was startled by the amount of time we've spent away from each other. Maybe I should call him.

I grabbed my black Samsung phone and dialled Jake's number.

"Hello?" A female voice answered.

"Um, I think I got the wrong number," I said.

"No! No! Sorry! I forgot! Okay, let me start over... Black residence." She said.

"Um, okay... is Jake there?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah. He is." She held the phone further away from herself. "Jacob, there's someone on the phone for you. I think it's Renesmee."

"Nessie?" Jake said when he got the phone.

"Who's that with you?" I asked coldly.

"Oh, it's Brooke. She stopped by earlier." He answered.

"I was actually wondering if you could stop by later." I said quickly. I wasn't that interested in him now, but I wasn't gonna lose him to Brooke either.

"Sure, I'll be there in ten minutes." He said and I smiled.

"Okay! See you later Jakey." I said in a sickenly sweet voice. Corny, but whatever.

***

My happiness was short lived when I saw Jake arriving in Brooke's black car.

"Hi!" I said and hugged Jake.

"Hey," He replied and hugged me back. It felt like he really missed me. Aww...

"Hello Renesmee." Brooke said. She had parked her car in the shade of the trees. When she had got out, she stayed hidden in the shadows.

"Come. Join us Brooke." I said with a smirk. She's a vampire, and there was sunlight. So...

"Sure." She said after a while. Brooke stepped out of the shadows. Nothing. Not even a glint. A sparkle. A shiny spot. There was nothing. What-- what is she?

Brooke smiled evilly. Great. She's a mind reader too. I wished I had a shield like Mum.

"So, what should we do now?" Brooke asked.

"Well," I linked my arm with Jake's. "I thought we could go to our special place."

"Where is this 'special place'?" Brooke asked.

I opened my mouth to say something but Jake beat me to it. "C'mon, we'll show you." And he started walking into the forest with me in tow. Brooke followed us.

***

"Here we are." Jake announced with a smile as we entered the picnic site.

It was our place because no-one comes here anymore due to all the 'animal attacks' and 'sightings of huge wolves'. Everyone in Forks now stays away from the woods. Except vampires and werewolves.

"So, this is it." Brooke looked around analyzing the space. "It's pretty."

"I know, right?" I said and walked over to the nearest picnic bench. This time, all the picnic items we saw before had disappeared, so someone must have been here before us.

As I sat down on the bench, my left hand scraped the edge of the conjoined picnic table.

"Ow!" I said and looked at my hand. Deep red blood oozed out.

Jake rushed over to me and examined my hand. "It's not so deep but we should go back now."

Brooke was frozen where we had left her, on the edge on the clearing. Her eyes were tranfixed on my hand.

"Brooke, are you alright?" Jake asked.

"Can't stand the blood?" I asked and slowly walked over to her. Brooke's eyes grew wide behind her dark sunglasses. Jake still didn't get it.

"I--I have to go." Brooke said and walked away. She vanished in a blur, but Jake wasn't close enough to see her.

For some reason, Brooke wanted to keep this a secret from Jake. For what reason, I have no idea.

Which brings me to the first question I asked: What is she?!

*****