After Dark (9)

--chapter 9--

Renesmee Cullen

So, here I was, barely watching sports on TV with Mum and Emmett. The only one really paying attention was Emmett actually. I heard a car in the driveway and rushed to the window overlooking the road. I was expecting Jake's old orange car, but instead there was a sleek, new and black car. Who is that? Just then, Jake came out of the drivers seat and this brunette girl came out of the passenger seat! I started feeling a wierd sensation. Jealousy. But Jake imprinted on me. Why should I be jealous?

As they walked over she said something which made Jake laugh. I growled softly and went to open the front door for them.

"Hey Jake." I said and hugged him passionately. He hugged back but not as strong.

She stood there abit awkwardly and with a smile on her face while leaning slightly against the wall. She wore dark sunglasses and a (even though I hate to admit it) really cute outfit. She has long wavy brown hair and tanned skin, not as dark as Jake's but definately darker than ours.

"Hey, how are ya?" Jake replied and smiled.

"I'm fine." I smiled back. "Who's this?" I nodded in the girl's direction.

"I'm Brooke Hale." She said and held out her hand at me. I looked at it and remembered Daddy said not to touch a human, they can tell what you are by the temperature of your skin. We stood there for a while in silence while Brooke's hand dangled in the air awkwardly.

"Okay then..." Her hand dropped to her side. She turned to Jake. "So, where is she?"

"Where is who?" I asked.

Brooke turned to me. "Isabella Swan"

"Oh..." I walked to the staircase and shouted, "Mum! There's someone here to see you!"

Mum appeared in a flash, when she saw Brooke, she run down the stairs and exclaimed, "Brooke! It's so nice to see you again!"

When she reached the bottom of the stairs they hugged.

"Oh my God! Look at you! You haven't aged a day!" Brooke said cheerfully. "Quite a grip you've got there." She added and Mum broke off the embrace.

"Come, sit!" Mum lead her to the living room. She pointed at Emmett. "This is my brother-in-law Emmett," Brooke waved. Emmett stood up and gave Brooke a bear hug. This took her my surprise.

"Uh, hi..." she said a bit awkwardly.

Emmett let go and said, "Sorry, I'm a hugger," and laughed. Brooke laughed too.

"This is my husband, Edward." Mum said and went over to Daddy. He smiled politely and nodded. Brooke smiled back and bit her lip. I could tell she was feeling out of place.

"Oh! And this is my dau--cousin Renesmee." Mum stammered.

"But, she called you 'Mum'? That's not possible seeing that she's only a few years younger than you. Unless you had her when you were still in Pre-school." Brooke said skeptically.

"M--Bella's my cousin!" I said in a kind of sqeauky voice (I have no idea where that came from).

"Yeah, Renesmee here lost her parents in a tragic accident. So she came here to live with us because we were the closest to her." Mum lied.

"Oh! That's terrible!" Brooke frowned. She looked partly annoyed and confused. "What happened to them? Why didn't you go to an adult about it? I'm shocked that they would allow a minor to go without being put in a foster home for awhile."

Questions, questions, questions. Brooke was flooding with them. It's as if she knew something. But wanted us to first say it.

"I don't like to talk about it," I interrupted with a fake sad face. "I call Bella and Edward 'Mum and Daddy' because there the closest I have to parents."

Brooke's face showed pity and concern. "I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're going through. Because I had both my parents plus a little brother, we had the cutest house, well, maybe not cause it was sorta big and modern..." she looked at me frowning. "I should probably shut up now..." she added sheepishly.

Yes, you should actually. I thought.

Jake just came back from the kitchen. I just realised now because Brooke was kind of distracting me. Jake walked in holding a bag of crisps. Brooke perked up and went over to him.

"Ooh! Can I have some? Long flight, long drive. I couldn't even stop for a snack!" She said.

Jake smiled and held out the bag towards her.

"Thank you." Brooke said in between mouthfuls.

"Uh, Bella. Do you mind if I crash here for the night? Those woods look totally eerie at night! It will only be for tonight." Brooke asked.

"I don't see why not. You can stay here as long as you like." Mum replied.

Brooke smiled. "Thanks, but I think it would be better off if I stayed at a hotel for the rest of the time I'm here. I don't want to be a bother" She glanced at me quickly.

"Okay, I'll help you look for a hotel tomorrow." Mum said and showed her the guest room.

"Goodnight all! Have a safe night!" Brooke said into the living room as they were leaving.

We all replied "Goodnight" except for me. I was still in a bad, jealous mood.

He imprinted on you. Not her. I kept reminded myself of that. Anyway, if Brooke tried any funny stuff with Jacob, I'll put her in her place. After all, she's just a mere human, not a half-vampire like me.

*****