After Dark (34)

--chapter 34--

Ryan Frost

I got a text from Crystal. It read: "WE NEED 2 TLK. CUM OUTSIDE."

I wondered what she meant from 'outside', but when I looked out my bedroom window I understood. She saw me and waved. I walked downstairs, grabbed my coat, and exited the house.

"Hey," She said. Crystal wore a pair of jeans and a light top. One of the perks of being one of the undead.

"Are you okay?" She asked. "I mean, your head and ankle."

"Yeah, my head's okay, but I still can't run and that sucks." I replied.

 Silence. Crystal opened her mouth then closed it. She repeated it after a while. "I don't know how to say this..." She started off.

"Let it out."

She took a in a breath. "I'm breaking up with you."

"What?!"

"You heard me."

"Why? It's that bloodsucker isn't it?!"

"His name is Gareth for your information." She snapped. "And no, that's not the reason."

"Then what is?"

"Ugh..." Crystal threw her hands up in the air. "Isn't it obvious? You're a human, I'm a vampire." She moved her hands in circular movements trying to make me follow.

"That's it? Really?"

"It's not that small of a deal. I long for your blood. I wanna rip your throat out and suck out every single drop of blood in your body."

Woah, creepy. I thought.

"It's so not! It's my nature! You see! This is what I was talking about! You just don't understand!"

"It's hard Crystal. I mean, I've had bad times with vampires and that's why I can't stand them. I put up with you being one cause it was either that or you being killed."

"What happened?!"

"I... can't tell you."

"Oh, so now we're keeping secrets now? And you're the one saying we should stay together."

I sighed. Sometimes Crystal can be a drama queen. "No, it's not that I don't want to tell you, it's just too dangerous for you." I said.

"I'm a vampire Ryan. What on earth can be a threat to me?"

"You have no idea Crystal. Right now, you're living in the ideal vampire world. No drama, no threats. Just the pure need of human blood."

"You act as if I'm living in a fairytale. It's so boring! I can't sleep anymore, so I stay in my room watching re-runs for eight hours, sometimes even more. I can't go out in the sun because I'd expose vampires, I can't even stay near a human for more than ten minutes!"

"It's a fairytale for other vamps and people Crystal. You have no idea what other people go through everyday."

"Then tell me, I'll understand more."

"I told you I can't."

She stared at me for a while. Like she was searching for something.

"Jesus Crystal! Stay out of my head!" I shouted. "You know what? Maybe we should break up. I'd rather be dead than be seen with a being like you anyway." And I walked away. I nearly reached the door when I felt Crystal's hand twisting aroundmy wrist. She flung me against the wall. Forcefully, but not loud enough for anyone else to hear.

"What the hell?!" I asked her.

"I will make your life a living hell if you ever do that again." She hissed into my ear let go of me.

By the time I turned around, she had already dissapeared.

What that was all about, I'll probably never know. But there's only one person who'd know what was going on.

*****