After Dark (32)

--chapter 32--

Gina Davies

Julie didn't come to school the next day. Or the next. Or the one after that. It was now Friday, and I still hadn't heard anything from her. I got really worried. Renesmee hung out with me for the week anyway, and she explained everything about her and her family. What they were, what they fed on, how to tell a bad vampire (the ones who drink human blood -- I guess that it's their nature and all, but still) from a good one, the whole lot.

I saw another wolf on the day of the killing. He's the guy who's usually with Renesmee. She told me that they were together. As in together together. But, I kinda doubt that because I saw him another time with a tall, brunette girl. I wonder if Renesmee knows about her.

Neither Crystal or Ryan came back to school too. I wondered why. I even thought about what started the fight. But Renesmee won't tell me. Probably thinks I'm gonna go after Crystal.

I will. But not yet. Although I need help. My brother will probably pitch in -- my mum's too strict about using our werewolf abilities since what happened in London -- and maybe Renesmee's coven of vampires.

She also explained that the tall bronze-haired vampire was called Edward (he's posing as her older brother) and the other brunette vampire was called Bella (her 'brother's' girlfriend). 

I slammed my locker door shut and walked away from it. I passed the main office, stopped, and back tracked my steps. I turned and I saw Ryan leaning over the front office desk, talking to red-haired secretary. She looked up at him through her glasses while he spoke.

I tried listening in. I picked up two girls gossiping, someone opening a packet of crisps, someone frantically trying to open their locker... I blocked out the other noises (with some luck).

"Yeah that's why I didn't come the whole week." Ryan said.

"So," The woman said as she was typing. "You couldn't come because of a headache and a hurt leg?"

"Sprained ankle and a massive migrain." Ryan corrected.

"Okay," She said.

Ryan turned to leave and I quickly hurried down the hallway. So, he actually got injured. I have to find out what happened, if it's the last thing I do.

***

I caught up with Renemee after school.

"Hey!" I said. "Where're you going?"

"Oh, I'm going, uh, hunting." She said a bit nervously.

"I can help if you want. I know the BEST hunting spots!" I offered with a smile.

"Sure." Renesmee smiled back.

***

"Are you sure we're not lost?" Renesmee asked.

"Yes. I'm sure. Don't worry Nessie." I assured her.

We had been running for ten minutes now, which got us far, her being half-vampire and me a werewolf. We were deep in the forest, passing the old warehouse by miles. That was also a good spot, but those memories are frightening to think about.

I stood still and sniffed the air. Perfect.

"There's a herd of deer towards the East." I said.

Renesmee looked like she was trying to hear them, and then sped into the trees. I followed her but slower and quieter. I found her with her mouth at a large male deer's neck. When she saw me she looked up -- her mouth never leaving its neck -- and continued. After she finished she gave me an apologetic look. Renesmee released it and its dead body fell on the ground with a thud.

"Sorry," she took a pocket tissue pack from her brown bag and wiped her mouth with it.

"It's okay." I told her.

Renesmee smiled at me. We began walking back.

"So, if Edward isn't your brother, who is he?" I asked.

"I know this is gonna sound crazy but, Edward's my... dad." She replied.

"What?! I thought vampires can't... well... you know... get kids."

"My mum -- Bella -- got pregnant while she was still human. She nearly died when having me so Edward changed her. Thus producing this," she pointed to herself. "A half-human, half-vampire."

"What are the stuff you can do?"

"I can sleep, eat, hunt, run fast, super strength, stuff like that. It's just that my vampire powers aren't as strong as a normal vampire."

"You mean not all vampires are the same?"

"Oh no! The strongest are newborns, next vampires who feed on human blood, then the ones who feed on animals and finally half-human half-vampires. And a few of us have a special power. For example, mind reading and telling the future." Renesmee explained.

Wow, we've gotta watch out with the bad vamps in Forks. According to Renesmee, they're pretty powerful!

As we were walking, I heard a twig snap.

"Did you hear that?" I asked.

"Hear what?" Renesmee's expression turned to confusion.

"Probably just some forest animal." I answered.

Renesmee shrugged and we walked back to the city.

*****