After Dark (39)

--chapter 39--

Embry Call

The plan was simple, follow Brooke to wherever she lives, corner her, rip her to shreds, then burn her. It was pretty easy, but I was still doubtful.

"Don't you think we should have back up?" I asked Seth.

We were at his house. It was bigger than Jake's and made out of stone, not wood. We were in his living room watching TV and drinking soda.

"Nah, I don't think so. It's only one vampire, not a whole coven." He replied. He looked thoughtful. "Maybe we should. I'll call Brady just in case." Seth stood up and picked his phone from the end table.

Brady and his best friend Collin became werewolves just before the battle with the Italian vampires and the Cullens.

"Okay, we'll meet you at your place." Seth said and hung up. He turned to me. "I think we should leave now, before my mum gets back from Charlie's."

"Are you sure about this?" I asked.

"Don't worry, even if we don't kill her tonight, we'll probably chase her outta town." Seth opened the door and we walked out.

***

"What does this vampire look like?" Brady asked.

We were deep in the forest.

"Tall, long brown hair and it's a girl." Seth said.

Brady nodded. "So, where is she?"

"I read Jake's thoughts yesterday when we were patroling on the western side. He thought something about a forest." I replied.

"Well, being in a forest is quite vague, maybe it's a place with 'forest' in its name." Brady suggested.

"There's 'Forest Edge', 'La Foresta'," Seth said.

"How about we first try 'La Foresta'? It's closer." I said.

"Sure." Seth said. He was kinda the leader right now because it was his plan.

We phased and then set off for the hotel. We stopped about a few meters away to make sure no-one saw us.

It was a nice place, with a fountain in the middle of the parking. There were a few cars, adding to the chance of a bloodsucker staying here.

Next we saw it. The black Mercedes we saw Brooke leaving with. And it was parked under a huge tree, perfect for shielding against the sun.

Just then, Brooke walked out of the six-storey building and went to her car. I leaned over for a closer look and stepped on a twig by mistake. Brooke heard it and slowly walked towards us.

Perfect. Seth thought. He nudged Brady to come out of tree cover. He was in human form.

"Um, hi. Are you lost?" Brooke asked Brady.

"Yes, I am. I went for a late afternoon drive and my car broke down." He lied.

"D'you need me to drop you somewhere?" She asked.

"That would be great. But I first need to get my things from my car." Brady pointed to the forest.

"I'll come with you." She said and they began walking towards us.

This is it. Attack from the right and I'll do it from the left. Seth thought.

After Brady and Brooke were ten meters deep into the woods, we striked.

It was as if Brooke knew because she flung me back into the bark of an oak tree. Seth tried attacking from behind her but at the last second she turned around and shoved him back. I attempted again but she did the same thing to me. I landed on my front left leg (my left arm when I'm in human form) and I heard a crunching noise.

I let out a loud howl. Seth turned away from Brooke and rushed over to me.

Oh God. Are you okay? He asked.

My arm, I think I broke it. I replied.

Seth turned his head to where Brooke and Brady were standing. They were gone.

Seth turned back to me. Phase back, it will be easier to get back. Seth thought.

We turned back into our human forms. It hurt a bit less. One of the benefits of being a werewolf, the fast healing. Seth and I trudged back to his house.

"What are we gonna do about Brady?" I asked.

"I don't know. Well, no-one saw us go to his house or leave with him. Maybe no-one will notice." Seth replied uneasily.

There actually was a chance. Brady lived with his dad, who had left for a business trip two days before.

"Yeah, maybe." I agreed.

*****