After Dark (49)

--chapter 49--

Jacob Black

Well, it's been two days. And nothing. That's a good sign, I guess. I've been especially careful around Edward. I hate mind reading bloodsuckers. 

"I hope that doesn't include me." A voice came from behind me. Crap. I hadn't thought of what to do if she came back. Should I alert the pack? Should I take her on myself?

"Calm down Jake. No-one's gonna hurt you... maybe. I haven't decided yet."

I turned around and saw her. Brooke. I wasn't shocked at all. I knew she was gonna live.

"What d'you want?" I asked with venom in my voice.

"I came to see you." Brooke said and fiddled with the junk in my garage.

"What the hell do you really want bloodsucker?" My hands clenched into fists. I controlled the urge to phase into my wolf form and rip her to shreds... again.

She sighed and faced me while leaning on the wooden table. It let out a small creak once she put her weight on it. Brooke took off her sunglasses and I finally saw her eyes (properly, not hidden behind contacts). They were a deep red, almost brown to a supernatural's eyes. Humans would see them as brown.

"So?" I asked after a while of her staring at me in silence.

"I want an answer to my question." She answered.

"Which is...?"

"Why did you spare my life?" Brooke asked bluntly.

I let down the tough-guy act (just a little, for it could have been a distraction before she sucked out all the blood from my veins).

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I said.

"Oh please. I knew you're plan from the beginning. The minute you asked me to go to a 'special spot' I knew something was up. Bella used her shield so I didn't know what exactly you were gonna do to me, but I knew it was bad." She said.

"Ten points for figuring that out." I said.

Brooke rolled her eyes. "You guys ripped me apart, why didn't you burn me to finish me off?"

"There were a two girls approaching. We had no time."

"Yeah, but if I recall, you said that you will do it in another location."

"I-I-" I had no response.

"You had the chance to finish off a vampire -- your natural enemy -- but you didn't. Why?"

I kept quiet.

"It couldn't have been because of Bella, because she agreed to my death. And it definately can't be because of Renesmee, seeing as she hated my guts. So Jake, why?"

I kept my mouth shut.

"Take as long as you want. I've got all eternity." She said and presumed looking at the bits and pieces on the table.

I shrugged and continued working on my bike. It had developed a few problems, but nothing I can't fix.

After around ten minutes, Brooke's head snapped up. She frowned and left. I wondered what the fuss was about until I heard a car approach the house.

I walked around to the front and saw Bella come out of the red Porsche. So much for trying to 'blend in'.

"What's up Bells?" I asked.

"There's been another killing." Bella replied.

"Human?" I asked hopefully. I knew we were supposed to be keeping humans safe, but if it's a werewolf, that spells trouble.

"No, werewolf." Bella said.

***

Bella and I walked into the Cullen's living room to find a girl with long black hair with blue highlights sitted on the couch with Renesmee. They were watching TV, but the girl seemed to be staring blankly at the screen.

"What's going on?" I asked and the girl looked at me and turned back to face the TV.

"This is Julie Hunter." Bella said.

Then I remembered her. She was the one who's father the blonde vampire (not Rosalie, some other bloodsucker) killed. I wondered what had happened now.

"Julie witnessed her best friend being killed by a vampire, just last night." Edward cleared things up.

"We're wondering who could have done it." Carlisle said.

"Seeing that you killed Brooke yesterday." Renesmee said.

"I got killed yesterday? So sorry, I didn't get the memo." Brooke appeared at the entrance of the room.

*****