After Dark (20)

--chapter 20--

Bella Cullen

"I need to talk to you Bella." Brooke told me.

"Um... ok." I said.

Edward gave me a worried look. I shook my head and mouthed "It's okay" to him. We went outside and Brooke led me outside to the wrought iron gazebo on the far end of the property. We sat down on it's soft blue cushions.

"I know everything." Brooke said.

"About what?" I asked. About vampires? About Renesmee? What did she know?

"About you guys being... not human."

"What?! That's impossible Brooke! I am human! Look at me!" I lied. I had to. I didn't want her in this world of killing, The Volturi, all of it.

"Ever since I got here all you've done is lie to me. Frankly, I don't see why. I thought we were closer than that..." She looked down sadly.

"I just can't. If you were my friend you'd understand that."

"Why can't you tell me? I already know."

"If you already know, what's the point?" I asked.

"You're a vampire." Brooke looked up at me.

"What? No!" I lied again. I hate doing this, but I have no choice.

"You're eyes were brown, now they're gold. You never go out in the sunlight."

"So I got contacts and my skin became sensitive to the rays of the sun. Big deal."

"Oh please! You might have become a vampire but you're still a horrible liar." She scoffed.

"That still doesn't prove that I'm a vampire."

"I found two satchets of blood from the Forks Hospital blood bank in the fridge. It makes sense. Carlisle is a docter so it's easier to get the satchets instead of killing people."

"How do you know so much?" I asked.

"I'm studing Paranormal Activity in university remember? I know everything."

I sighed. There's no returning back now. Brooke knew. There's no way of erasing her memory.

"That's the main reason I came to Forks. There have been strange animal attacks in this area." She continued. "I also came to visit you of course. Then I realised that you are one."

"Okay, so you know the truth. Now what do you want?"

"Just a few questions. I'm not gonna tell anyone Bella."

I shrugged. "Ask away."

"So, all of you are vampires?" Brooke asked.

"Yes. Also Alice, Jasper and Rosalie."

"Where are they now?"

"In Alaska. This is the sunnier season in Forks and they didn't want to be cooped up inside the house the whole day."

The sun came out from behind the light grey clouds and shone on us. My skin reflected the sunlight.

"So... you sparkle? Not burn up into flames?"

I laughed. "Yes."

"What about Renesmee?"

"She's a half-human half-vampire. She can do things both can do."

"Do you have any powers?"

"Yeah. I can make a shield to protect people, Edward reads minds, Alice sees the future, and Renesmee can show you her thoughts just by her touching you." I explained.

"Oh..." She said and looked thoughtful. "Is Jacob a vampire too?"

"Uh... no. That part he'll have to tell you himself."

"I understand. We should go back in. The others are probably waiting."

We walked back into the house. Everyone was still in the same positions we left them in. And then, Brooke took off her sunglasses.

*****