After Dark (10)

--chapter 10--

Crystal Turner

03:16AM. That's the time I woke up. I thought I'd died or something, so I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dead... or dreaming. My skin was hard and cold, this hospital seriously needs to invest in some warmer blankets. But oddly enough, I wasn't feeling cold, or warm. And I was freakishly hungry. Like I hadn't eaten for days. But I didn't want to eat food, something else, but not food.

Crystal. Crystal.

I looked around. No-one was there. Just the soft humming of the machines.

Crystal. Are you awake? Can you hear me?

Okay, this is starting to freak me out. That's it! I'm going crazy! That knock on the head really got me good!

Crystal? Just answer. Are you awake? Can you hear me?

"Uh, hi, strange disembodied voice." I said. I felt so stupid, talking to myself like that. I hope none of the nurses walk in on me.

There was soft laughter. Don't worry, they won't hear you.

"You can hear my thoughts?"

Yes, I can. That's a skill I need you to learn and pratice. Just try talking to me in your thoughts. No-one will hear you and I talking.

Okay. Hey! I did it! Okay, so what's all this about? Where are you? More importantly, who are you?

I'll answer your questions later. No need for names right now. We just need to meet together and I'll answer everything. Right now, all you have to do is stay there for the night. You'll be discharged in the morning.

Um... okay. How do you know I'll be let go?

You have recovered from your injury. Oh, and one more thing, don't tell anyone about me. One, you'll be sent to a mental asylum. Two, I am entrusting you with this secret.

Okay. But why me?

Because I changed you.

I was almost afraid to ask. Changed into what?

There was a short pause.

A vampire.

*****