After Dark (26)

--chapter 26--

Renesmee Cullen

Oh no. I handled that badly. I was trying so hard to fit in. Instead, I think I lost my chance to two really nice friends, all due to this secret. Sometimes I wish vampires didn't have to hide. That we had our own little town in a secluded area. Where we were free to sparkle in the daylight, to run as fast as we can, to hunt, to do anything!

I thought about all this in the school parking lot. There is a big tree on the side of the school which no-one seems to take notice of. I come here sometimes, when the urge for human blood becomes too much. I've never tasted it actually, only my family's way, animals. Sometimes I get sick of it. Occasionally, when I sink my teeth into a deer's furry neck, I imagine that it's a human's un-hairy neck. Tearing through someone skin, no worries of getting fur stuck between my teeth.

"Then, why don't you just give in Renesmee?" A female voice asked.

I turned around and saw Crystal and Ryan.

"How did you know what I was thinking?" I asked her.

"Think." Crystal replied.

I thought for a while, then it clicked. The always-being-thirsty-ness, the sudden change of eye colour, the powerful hearing, the reading of minds.

"Vampire." I said slowly.

A smile creeped onto her lips. I stood up (I was sitting at the base of the tree) and hissed at her.

"Careful. We're on school property. Someone could see us. Anyway, I didn't come here for a fight." Crystal explained.

"Then, for what?" I asked.

"Those girls, Julie Hunter and Georgina Davies, do they know?" She asked.

"I don't think so, why?"

"Well, I kinda attacked her dad, and I saw him this morning and that can only mean one thing." Crystal confessed.

"Um... OK. So, what do you want me to do about it? Why don't you just ask Brooke?" I asked.

"That's the thing. I don't want her to find out. I'm the one who attacked him and forgot to finish him off. And now I have a vampire on my hands."

"Why not? You're a vampire too. She's not really a big threat."

Crystal opened her mouth to answer, then closed it.

"So, I think we should do something altogether again. It was fun last time." Crystal said out of nowhere.

What is she talking about? I asked myself. Then I heard the footsteps of two people, the smell of their human blood, and their voices.

"Shh! We have to be quiet!" One of the voices said.

"All they're talking about is some movie!" Another voice complained.

I rolled my eyes. It was Gina and Julie. They appeared from the corner.

"Hey guys. What are you doing here?" Julie asked.

Gina looked at Crystal a bit nervously.

"We were just discussing about meeting on the weekend. Or maybe even tomorrow night." Crystal lied.

"Mm-hmm," Julie said.

Gina still didn't say a word. She was usually the talkative one, but now she was the total opposite.

"Would you guys like to come?" Ryan asked.

I had forgotten that he was even there until now.

"Um... sure." Julie said.

"Yeah." Gina also said, but her eyes were still transfixed on Crystal.

"Then it's settled! Tomorrow night. Port Angeles." Crystal said and left with Ryan.

I was a bit worried. I remembered what happened last time, and I didn't want Julie and Gina to be part of it.

*****