After Dark (31)

--chapter 31--

Julie Hunter

"Shush!" Gina hissed.

We were deep in the forest. This seemed like a good idea back then, but that howl really freaked me out. So, Gina and I were waiting for my parents to leave so we could sneak out so Gina can show me her wolf form. A few metres away from the house, Gina heard something. I could only hear the rain pounding against our umbrellas and the squishy sound our wellington boots made when they got in contact with the wet ground. She started running and I tried to catch up with her but she was too fast. Gina stopped and told me to be seriously quiet. I immediately thought vampire. I know I was so determined to kill the ones in Forks, but now I just froze. Suddenly howls erupted from nowhere. They seemed to be moving away from us, then one sounded deadly close to us and I screamed.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Follow me, but be quiet." She replied.

We silently trudged on, getting close to some source of light. The howls seemed closer to us now but I managed to keep my mouth shut. We reached an abandoned warehouse in a clearing. Gina pulled me behind a huge tree and put her left index finger on her mouth to signal silence. We stayed perfectly still. I was even scared to breathe. Then we heard a huge crash, like two rocks crashed against each other and a few snarls.

Gina mouthed "Vampires" to me. We slowly turned out heads so we could see the action.

Oh. My. God. My dad was fighting  a blonde vampire. Wait, that's Crystal! Gina was right. After a few seconds it clicked, my dad was a vampire too. Gina's eyes became wide once she recognized them.

We continued watching, totally frozen in our spots. Then Crystal had my dad in a death grip.

Never underestimate a vampire's strength. I thought to myself. Two others, a tall bronze-haired guy and a smaller brunette girl each held my dad's two arms. Next, Crystal held my dad's head and broke it off! The other two broke off his arms as well like he was a marble statue. Crystal removed a perfume bottle and sprayed the pieces of my dad's body with many coats. The male vampire then unleashed a lighter from his jacket pocket and threw it on the pieces. Flames erupted instantly. The sweet smoke overwhelmed us all.

I dropped onto my knees and cried. The vampires turned their heads and looked at me. I didn't care if they were bloodsucking demons who could kill me in seconds. I didn't give a damn. I broke out into huge uncontrolable sobs. They had killed my dad (who was a vampire but he was still family) right infront of me.

The next thing I felt is my mum's arms around me and her soothing voice.

She was saying, "It's gonna be alright sweetheart," but I knew that it wasn't because she was also crying with me.

Gina stood there still in shock. The female brunette vampire looked at me sadly. Pity filled her golden eyes. The male one stood there with no emotion. Crystal had dissapeared into the warehouse. I had a good mind to burn the building with her inside, then I realized it wouldn't bring my dad back.

Renesmee walked into the clearing with the big guy she's usually with. They looked confused until they saw the fire and me and my mum huddled together in a heap on the forest floor. Their eyes also filled up with pity.

Gina and the big guy regarded each other with a simple nod. He even smiled at her. Renesmee looked at me and wasn't sure what to do. Whether to come and hug me, or to leave my mum crying here.

Crystal returned outside with her arm around a weak Ryan's waist. He looked dazed. He glanced from the fire, to me and my mum and to Crystal.

"I'll tell you about it later," She said in a sickeningly soothing voice. "Right now, I need to take you home to rest."

And they left the small clearing with Ryan slightly limping. I wondered what happened here before we arrived.

Gina was amazingly right. Knowing her secret would and did change my life forever.

*****