After Dark (22)

--chapter 22--

Bella Cullen

I didn't like this one bit. They were already discussing tactics on how to kill Brooke seconds after she left.

"No." I interjected.

Everyone turned their heads to me.

"Bella, love," Edward stepped foward to me. He tried to put his hands around me but I hit them away. A look of annoyance and sadness showed on his face.

"I don't want you to kill Brooke." I clarified. I knew they knew what I was saying no to, but I just had to say it.

"We have no choice," Esme said.

"No choice?!" I exploded. "She didn't do anything to us! Don't forget, Edward and Emmett attacked her, she was barely defending herself!"

"She still poses a threat to us." Edward said.

"How?!" I asked.

"She feeds on human blood. People could get hurt in our little town! Also people talk, so the rumour of it not actually being an animal attacking people could spread quickly! Then the Volturi will get involved!" Nessie explained.

They were all up for it. I thought we were the good vampires. We didn't just kill any other when they posed as a 'threat'.

"I. Don't. Want. Her. Killed." I said as simply as I could put it.

Edward sighed deeply.

"Look, she's one of my best friends. I don't care if she feeds on humans! Friends are friends. Human, vampire, or," I looked at Nessie. "werewolves."

They all looked deep in thought.

"Fine, she lives." Carlisle announced and he and Esme left the room. 

Emmett put on the TV to a sports channel. Edward and Renesmee looked at me slightly annoyed.

"You'll see." I said. "What's the worst that could happen?"

*****