After Dark (6)

--chapter 6--

Ryan Frost

Just when I thought I could actually get away from it all, it came back. I moved here to Forks to get away from all this... fear. I couldn't stand it anymore in Florida, so I moved somewhere quieter, hoping that it wouldn't find me. I was fooled, for a few weeks, then when the attacks started, I got more cautious. I haven't been out in a long time. My girlfriend Crystal thought I was even avoided her. Yet, I was only protecting her.

I had taken the risk today when she told me it was our one-month anniversary of when we first met. It was sweet of her to organize this picnic, so I couldn't say no. I thought of an excuse not to come, I told her that we might get bad weather. But ironically, it was hot, bright and sunny here in Forks. And when we got to the site I was actually relaxed.

Until, the dark clouds came. And they weren't just saying, "Hide for cover! It's gonna be a stormy day!" No, they just screamed death.

It took a moment for Crystal something was wrong because she asked, "Ryan? Ryan?! What's wrong? You're going really pale."

Then I saw It's Face. My head was yelling at me, "What the hell's wrong with you? Grab Crystal and RUN!" but I couldn't move an inch. Crystal kept glancing back and saw nothing each time. It was only here for me.

"Okay then. I think we should get outta here. It looks like it's gonna rain." She said and started packing up the food containers.

"Leave it. Let's go" I said calmly but with authority. I can't believe I managed to program my voice like that. Crystal looked up at me with a questioning gaze, stood up, and took the lead.

We hiked all the way to the car without any problems. I started to calm down, to relax, and so, I let my guard down.

It came out from nowhere. With lightening speed it grabbed Crystal, held her to the bark of a tree and bit her neck. Agonizingly loud screams came from her. It pierced through the forest but it seemed like no-one else but me could hear her crys of help. I dropped down to my knees and begged.

"Please, please let her live. I'll do anything." I said nearly in tears.

It pulled itself away from the gapping hole in Crystal's neck, and turned to me.

"Anything?" It asked.

"Anything." I assured. It released Crystal and she fell onto the ground in a crumpled mess. It wiped the blood from It's mouth with It's hand menacingly. I was frightening of what It wanted me to do for It.

"Hmm... Yes... I actually COULD use your help..."

"Anything."

It thought for quite a bit. It smiled an evil grin.

"Here's what I want you to do for me..."

*****