After Dark (17)

--chapter 17--

Crystal Turner

Oh God, oh God, oh God.

That feeling. It's like sandpaper rubbing against my throat. I was so thirsty. And that Coke I got from Dawson's isn't helping one bit. 

Brooke rushed me out of the theatre. Ryan followed us.

"Are you okay?" She asked, concern showing on her face.

"No... but out here... it's a bit better..." I replied.

I guess I was feeling claustrophobic. But I realised that I feel better when they are less people around.

"I think you need something to drink." Brooke suggested.

"Yeah, yeah that's probably it..." I said.

"Ryan, you can go back." Brooke said.

"No, I want to make sure she's okay." He shot back.

"Go back Ryan, I'll take it from here. Anyway, you wouldn't want to waste the ten dollars you used on the movie ticket. Go, watch, enjoy. Tell the rest we've gone, we'll see them later." Brooke said firmly.

Ryan went back in grudgingly.

"C'mon Crystal, let's go." Brooke led me out of the theatre entrance.

We walked in silence for quite some time until we reached a small alley. It was dark and had a dim yellow light bulb hanging off a few wires off the brick wall. It was beyond creepy. It also looked like the backdrop of one of the scenes in the movie we just walked out of. We reached a small brown door with small red letters which read 'Dawson's Coffee Shoppe: STAFF ENTRANCE'.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"We're coming to get what you need." Brooke knocked on the door.

Three soft taps. A blonde guy with brown eyes opened the door. He wore a white shirt, black jeans and a black apron with the cafe logo on it.

"Sorry, you can't--" He started off and looked at us from the clipboard he was holding. "Oh, it's you. C'mon in."

We walked into a small room. It had three doors leading to all different rooms. There was a small battered sofa in one corner, and a coffee table in the middle. There were plastic chairs spread around.

"So, what's up?" He asked.

"Not much. I need you to help my friend here." Brooke told the blonde guy.

In the better lighting of the room, I could see him better. He was cute.

"I'll be right on it." He left the room.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"That's Gareth Livingstone. He's a vampire too." Brooke answered. "If you need anything, anything at all that has to do with vampires, you come to him."

Gareth returned with a Coke bottle. He gave it to me.

"No thanks, I already have one." I showed him the bottle I had in my hand.

He laughed. "It's what you need. It's just been added a few colourings and a familiar bottle so people don't get suspicious."

I took the bottle. It was cold. I opened the bottle and took a few cautious sips. It tasted good. It was like I'd never drank anything before in my life.The cool refreshing liquid flowed down my throat and entered all my dried up veins. I felt so... alive. I finished the bottle in a few seconds.

Gareth laughed again. "Thirsty huh?"

"Can I have some more?" I asked hopefully.

He left and returned with another bottle. I reached out for it but he kept it away from me.

His voice turned serious. "You have to drink this in moderation. If you drink this too often you could actually kill someone. And it doesn't matter if they are close to you or anything. They'll be dead in seconds."

"Yeah yeah... now give it." I grabbed it from him.

Gareth gave a warning look to Brooke. She shook her head.

"Let's go." She told me and led me out. "Thanks a lot Gare!" She said over her shoulder. He smiled back.

Once we were out into the alley, I threw the empty bottle in a big black trashcan.

"Oh, God. I've got to get more of that stuff. Do you think I could get that at Forks Department Store?" I asked.

Brooke smiled. "I don't think so. Imagine it as a burger. You love them, but you can't eat one everyday. It's good when you're eating it, but later on, you'll regret it when you can't fit into your favourite jeans anymore."

"But I want more!" I whined. I'm not usually like this. What's happening? I thought. 

When we reached the main pathway, I felt so overwhelmed. The lights were so bright. I could hear all these people talking at the same time. I could see even the smallest crack on the asphalt road infront of us. My head was spinning. And that scent. It smelt like the contents of the two bottle I just drank. But I can't see the bottles anywhere. A group of people pass us and I have this strange urge to... eat them? Drink them?? I don't know. Something is just telling me that they are food. Wierd.

I came back to my senses and noticed that Brooke had been watching me the entire time. She looked around nervously.

"We have to get you home... NOW." She said and dragged me to her car.

*****