After Dark (38)

--chapter 38--

Seth Clearwater

Jared, Quil, Jake and I were at Sam and Emily's house. We had a long night of patrolling so we went there for a snack. But you know us, a 'snack' turns into a huge dinner. Emily knew that (by being engaged to a werewolf) so she made a lot. We were sitting around the small dining table with massive amounts of food piled on our plates (except Emily of course).

"So, have you figured out what's going on?" She asked.

"No, not yet anyway." Jared replied.

"All we know is that it's a vampire. There are definately more than just the Cullens'" I said.

"Stupid bloodsuckers" Quil muttured.

"You can say that again." Jared agreed.

Jake didn't say much. He just concentrated on eating. I guess because he'd been out longer than the rest of us.

After a while, the doorbell rang. It wasn't loud, actually a bit too quiet for human ears. But us werewolves heard it loud and clear.

"I'll get it." I said and walked over to the wooden door.

I opened it and saw a tall, pretty girl standing on the porch. She had long, wavy brown hair and dark sunglasses covering her eyes.

"Hi," She said with a smile. "Is Jacob Black here by any chance?"

"Yeah, c'mon in." I stepped aside.

Her high-heeled boots made a soft noise as she walked on the wooden floor.

"These are Quil, Jared and Emily." I introduced them. "My name is Seth by the way."

"I'm Brooke." She told all of us.

Jake stood up. He looked shocked to see her.

"What're you doing here?" He asked.

Her expression turned serious. "I need to talk to you."

Jake walked outside and she followed him.

"Wonder what's that all about." Jared said.

"What happened to Renesmee?" I asked.

Quil shrugged. "That human's better for him anyway. Renesmee is half-bloodsucker."

"But he imprinted on her." I said. I didn't really know much about imprinting, but from what I've heard, it's a pretty strong feeling.

Jared listened out for a while and then said, "We can still hear them from here." He smirked.

I tried it out for my self, and he was right. Not as clear as when I'm a wolf, but I could still hear them.

"I was taken by surprise over what you told me." Brooke said.

"Isn't that what you wanted to hear?" Jake asked.

"I asked all those questions because I was trying to get to know you guys better. I already know Bella, so I wanted to know her friends here too."

"Wow. Well that's embarassing."

"No, no. I like you a lot Jacob. Maybe we could kinda like, start over?"

"Would you like some more?" Emily stopped my concentration.

"Uh, no thanks. I'm pretty full." I said.

I tried listening in again after that, but Jake and Brooke had already walked in. He sat down and continued with his food. Brooke sat in the empty chair next to me.

"Would you like some lunch?" Emily asked her.

"Um, no thank you. I, uh, already ate." Brooke replied.

Jared kicked me under the table lightly and tilted his head slightly towards Brooke. I knew what he was thinking. Vampire.

"Brooke, could you please pass me the salt?" Jared asked.

Brooke picked up the salt shaker by the edge and handed it over to him, being careful not to touch his skin.

"Thanks." He said and added salt to his lunch.

Brooke stood up and said, "Thank you for inviting me into your home. But I have to leave now. Have a nice day."

We all said our goodbyes, Jake hugged her as well. Jared and I watched over as she approached her black car. I noticed that she carefully avoided the sunlight, only walking in the shadows of the nearby trees. I nodded to Jared.

She might be the vampire who we've been looking for. All we have to do is kill the killer.

*****