After Dark (48)

--chapter 48--

Julie Hunter

So much for a peaceful night of camping. Gina and I were awakened by some sort of moaning sound, like someone was in pain.

Gina being the brave one, got out of the tent. I stepped out as well. I've seen my dad be dismembered and then burned, I don't think there's anything more gruesome than that!

On the border of trees that surrounded the Davies' household (it was the same for like every house in Forks), was a girl. She was quite tall, with long dark brown hair, maybe black (I couldn't tell, our torches weren't that bright). She was also crouching down, using the tree for support, while clutching her stomach. We moved slowly towards her. Her clothes were slightly messed up, dirty and wet.

"Are, are you okay?" Gina asked.

The girl coughed.

"I'll take that as a 'no'. Do you need some help?" Gina said.

"Y-yeah. I'm starving." She said, still not showing us her face.

"Okay, we have some food in the house. Come with us." Gina replied.

"'Kay." The girl said and stumbled as she tried to walk towards us.

"Careful!" Gina helped her towards the house.

After we had taken a few steps, the girl threw her head back and bit into Gina's unprotected neck.

"ARGH!!!" Gina screamed.

I stood there frozen. Memories of the night my dad fled back.

The girl dropped Gina's drained body on the ground and dissapeared in a blur. I fell besides Gina's limp body and checked for a pulse. Nothing. I whipped out my phone and dialled a number.

"Hello?" I heard Renesmee's voice after two rings.

"R-Renesmee..." I started crying.

"Oh my gosh! What happened?"

"G-Gina's... Gina's... dead."

"What? When did this happen?"

"Vampire. A f-few minutes ago..."

"I'm on my way." She said and hung up.

***

A few minutes later, a black car pulled up to the house. Renesmee and her dad Dr. Cullen came out and rushed to us.

"When did this happen?" Dr. Cullen asked.

"About ten minutes ago." I said.

He examined her and then told us, "She's gone. I'm sorry."

I saw her being killed, I noticed that she had no pulse, but when another person tells you (especially when it's a doctor) it just makes it worse.

Renesmee put her arm around my shoulder. "I'm so sorry Julie."

I didn't reply for a while. I just sat there. Frozen. I had lost my dad and my best friend in a matter of weeks. All this drama just for knowing that vampires and werewolves exist.

I started hating vampires, for what they did to my dad. And then Renesmee told me her secret, so I hated them less (only by a little bit). It's like they can sense hatred. Because now they've been attacking the ones I love. 

I have to end this soon.

Even though I have no idea how.

*****