After Dark (5)

--chapter 5--

Crystal Turner

I walked out of my two-storey home and felt the warm sun on me. It was the perfect day for a picnic! My boyfriend Ryan thought it would be cold and gloomy like all the other days here in Forks. I hopped into his parked car on my driveway.

"Hey," he greeted me with a kiss.

"I told you it would be a nice day for a picnic!" I smiled.

We drove for about twenty minutes and hiked the rest of the way. There was a really beautiful picnic site in a small clearing but you had to work for it!

Ryan and I are total opposites. He's thoughtful, poetic, quiet. I'm loud, ambitious and I talk quite a bit! As we were hiking, I was sharing about my week and stuff, he was nodding and adding a few 'Yeah's and 'Mm hmm's where necessary.

When we got to the clearing I collasped onto the nearest bench and let out a huge sigh. The clearing was small, with three small picnic tables and four benches. It was the only bright place in this area. The rest of the forest looked un-inviting, and you always felt like something was watching you. I shudderred. Cree-py.

We set all the food on the table. It wasn't much, just a couple of sandwiches, a few pieces of fried chicken, a bowl of salad and two juice boxes (don't judge, they are super nutritious!). Ryan didn't seem to mind. We ate, talked, made out a little. It was turning out to be a good day.

Suddenly, the sky went dark as thick grey clouds covered the sun.

I looked up and said, "Well, that's bad luck."

Ryan looked pale. Like he had seen all this before.

*****