After Dark (16)

--chapter 16--

Renesmee Cullen

The weekend came around fairly fast. Ryan, Crystal and I first met at Dawson's Coffee Shoppe. It's a cute little British themed cafe. I'd ordered hot chocolate, Ryan had a capuccino, and Crystal had nothing. She claimed she wasn't hungry, but she kept looking around uneasily.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"Y-yeah. I'm fine. I'm fine." Crystal smiled weakly.

We were sitting at a table for four near the windows. The entrance of the shop had a glass door and wall-to-wall windows. I was facing the windows, while Ryan and Crystal were facing me. A small waitress came to our table and gave us our drinks.

"Enjoy your drinks!" She said cheerfully and walked away.

I sipped mine slowly, it was still so hot it nearly burnt my tongue. I was thankful that I ordered the take away cup.

"So, which movie?" Ryan asked. His hand was holding Crystal's. She still looked disturbed and I was worried.

"Maybe a comedy or something? There's one called 'Not Another Chick Flick'. I heard it's really funny." I smiled, trying to lift the mood.

Just then, I saw two people walk past outside the window. It wasn't any two people, it was Jake and Brooke. I was shocked, angry, hurt, jealous... it was like all my half-teenage-girl feelings spurted out at that moment. I stood up, and walked out.

"Where are you going?" Ryan asked as I strode out the huge glass door.

The frosty wind greeted me as I got outside. Jake and Brooke were walking close together, and talking about some movie.

I tapped Jake on the shoulder and he turned around instantly.

"Oh, hey Nessie." He said. Brooke turned around at the mention of my name.

"Hello Renesmee." She smirked. I rolled my eyes.

"What are you up to?" I asked Jake.

"We're--"

Ryan came out of the coffee shop. "What's going on Renesmee?"

Jake's smile turned into a frown. "Who's this?" he asked.

"I'm Ryan Frost." He said and offered his hand to Jake.

Jake shook it, quite firmly actually, judging from the slight wince Ryan made. He then turned to Brooke.

"Hey, Brooke Hale." She said and smiled at him. He smiled back but it looked fake for some reason.

"We were going to watch a movie, would you like to come?" Brooke asked him.

"Sure, I'll go tell Crystal that there's a change in plans." Ryan said and went back in. Moments later, he walked out with Crystal. Once outside, she looked relaxed. Maybe it was something inside.

"Crystal, this is Brooke Hale. Brooke, this is Crystal Turner." Ryan introduced the two. They both smiled at each other.

"So, do we all go?" Brooke asked.

Ryan and Crystal agreed. Jake and I did so as well, but reluctantly.

"I heard of this AWESOME movie called 'The Girl Next Door'! We should totally go!" Brooke said cheerfully.

"Oh my gosh!" Crystal exclaimed. "I watched the trailer and I so wanted to watch it!"

"Lemme guess... chick flick? Romance?" Ryan joked.

"No..." Crystal pushed him softly.

"Thriller." Brooke said with an evil smile on her face.

"I'm in!" Jake said.

"Me too." Ryan agreed.

I'm not so fond of scary movies, but I tagged along trying not to be the kill-joy.

"Let's go!" I smiled.

***

In the movie, the order in which we sat in was like this: Me, Jake, Brooke, Ryan then Crystal. 

The movie was freakishly scary. I was ready for a few killings (I'd seen some in real life) so I thought I was being brave. But that movie... I hope I recover from the images I've seen. Jake was showing his macho side and actually laughing (some of the more gruesome scenes he just kept quiet and stared right ahead), Brooke looked calm (like she had witnessed all this before. But earlier she DID mention that she has the DVD and could only watch ten minutes of it but I don't know where all this came up), Ryan and Crystal looked terrified, but they were huddling together.

The movie was about this normal family who moved into a small town. They were the typical American family, two parents, happily married, two kids, doing well in school, have friends, and good at sports. Then suddenly, all these killings start happening, and then...

"I can't stand this anymore!" Crystal screamed quietly so we could hear, but it still droned out the voices on the screen.

Brooke looked alarmed and turned to Crystal. "What is it?"

"It's so... HOT." Crystal answered.

"Huh?!" I asked. There wasn't any hot guy on the screen, nor was it particularly warm in the theatre, so I was confused.

"Let's go." Brooke said and they stood up and left.

Ryan also rose up from his seat. "I'll be right back." He told us.

Jake looked worried and almost followed them.

"Wait Jake. Stay with me please. I can't watch this alone."

"Okay." He sat back down, smiled and put his arm around me.

Ah... this is more like it. I thought. I like hanging out with Crystal and Ryan, but this beats it all.

*****