After Dark (14)

--chapter 14--

Ryan Frost

I agreed to meet them here. Crystal and It. It never told me it's name, It said that it would be safer this way. We met in the middle of the forest. Away from any prying eyes and ears, It said when It called me. When I arrived, they were already there, Crystal was leaning on one of the trees looking slightly bored and confused. It was just standing there, very still.

"Okay, good, you're here." It said.

I was still staring at Crystal. She still looked like herself, judging from the way she was positioned, she was still herself inside. But she was one of them now. A-- a-- I can't say it. Crystal's looking at me with intriguing eyes. I heard that their kind can see better than humans. Hear better too.

"What did you need from me?" I asked.

"I need a favor." It said. I wasn't surprised. It always wanted something from me.

"What do you want?" I asked impatiently. I couldn't stand seeing Crystal, my girlfriend, as one of them.

"I understand that you are in Grade 11."

"Yes..." I didn't know what It wanted.

"There's a girl in Grade 10 that I want you to befriend. Talk to her. Take her out. Be a little mysterious. Girls love that."

Crystal straightened up. She looked a little annoyed.

"You're asking me to go out with a random girl, toy around with her feelings, so you can get what exactly?" I asked confused and angry.

It laughed. "I'm not asking."

"Wait, but Ryan's my boyfriend. Won't she notice when we are together in school?" Crystal asked annoyed.

"You won't be going to school this semester Crystal. You might kill someone and that's drawing too much attention to us" It said calmly.

"I can handle it." Crystal snapped, clearly pissed off with the fact of me dating another girl.

"No, you can't."

"Yes I can!" Crystal shouted and stamped her foot down on the forest floor. It looked slightly amused.

"Okay, okay. You can go. Just control yourself, please." It said. I've never seen It like this. It actually gave in and used the word 'please' to Crystal. Clearly a soft spot for her.

"This girl you want me to hook up with, is she hot?" I asked.

Crystal frowned.

"That's for you to judge. Anyway, her name is--"

"What the hell?! Why are you playing around with my boyfriend?! And you..." Crystal turned to me. "How can you agree to this?! I thought you cared about me?!"

I sighed. "I do care Crystal. Its just that... I have no choice..." I looked at the ground sadly. Is this how the rest of my life will be like? Forever stopping whatever I have to do to do favors for It? It's never given me anything in return. Not even a simple 'thank you'.

Crystal came and gave me a hug. I felt better, except that she was really cold and hard. I missed the old Crystal. The fun, bubbly, warm, friendly Crystal. Not this. Cold, hard, moody, distant Crystal. But I can't get her back. 

"You don't have to be the girl's boyfriend. Just be really friendly. Arrange outings. Non-romantic. Like hiking, watching an action movie, going out for brunch, anything! Just spend time with her." It suggested.

Crystal smiled. There was a compromise. I smiled back at her and It.

"What's her name?" I asked.

"Renesmee Cullen."

*****