After Dark (28)

--chapter 28--

Julie Hunter

The movie was okay. I wasn't really paying attention because I wondered what Crystal was doing. We were outside The Spot waiting for her. The Spot is a really modern and chic restaurant/cafe. It has black leather seats, dark brown wooden tables, and green accesories everywhere. Like green napkin holders, green candles, green plates, etc. 

"Sorry I'm late!" Crystal said as she joined us.

Finally. I thought as we walked in. We chose a six-seater table since we were five. A tall-ish brunette waiter walked over to our table.

"Good evening. My name is Mark and I'll be your server for the evening."

"Oo! So classy!" Gina said excitedly.

Knowing her, she'll probably order the most elegant sounding thing on the menu.

"I'll have the Spaghetti Carbonara." Gina said.

And of course, I was right. Renesmee also had pasta, Ryan had a burger, Crystal had a glass of water, and I had a plate of fries. I wasn't that hungry, so I was glad that The Spot served small servings. As we ate, we told Crystal about the movie.

"So... what were you doing as we were watching the movie?" I asked.

"Uh... I was... um... just visiting a friend." Crystal replied.

"Who?" Renesmee asked.

"This guy called Gareth. They make this really good... uh... drink at Dawson's, so I went to get it, and we ended up talking." Crystal said.

Ryan looked hurt. Also confused. Like he knew she was gonna ditch us, but not to some other guy. Gina was looking at Crystal with an uneasy expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" I whispered to her.

"N-nothing." She said.

"You're lying." I said.

"I'll tell you later." Gina said.

***

Later at my house, Gina and I went upstairs to my room. She was staying the night because we stayed out later than we should have. I even got a mini lecture from my mum. I kinda zoned out then. Anyway, Gina flopped onto my bed and I sat on my desk chair.

"So, what happened tonight?" I asked.

"What? Nothing happened." Gina replied.

"You know... when we were at The Spot...?" I prompted her.

"Oh... right... it's nothing... I just had a hunch."

"About...?"

Gina exhaled deeply.

"Look, there are things I haven't told you about." she said.

I was shocked. I mean, we've been best friends for around five years and she still can't tell me what's going on?

"It's not that I don't want to tell you, it's kind of like a family secret." Gina continued.

"You can tell me anything, I won't tell anyone." I promised.

Gina sat upright on the edge of the bed.

"It's not just a small secret, telling you this can and will change your life." She warned.

I nodded. She sighed again.

"I tried telling you, but in subtle way. Remember the vampire book series I gave you?" Gina asked.

"'Bite Me'?"

"Yeah, that's the one. Can you remind me what it's about?"

"Um... there's a pack of werewolves and a coven of vampires, and they're in some sort of war, but there's a vampire and a werewolf who kinda like each other."

"Exactly. Well, it's not precisely like that, but it's around those lines."

I thought for a while. 

"Wait... so your a... vampire?!" I asked.

Gina laughed.

"No," she said. "I'm a... werewolf."

I ran to my window and looked outside.

"B-but, it's a full moon tonight. Are you gonna like, phase, right here in my room?" I asked.

Gina laughed again. "No, I can control when I phase. I've gotten much better actually. I used to change everytime I got angry."

"So, what's the deal with Crystal?"

"I had a hunch, and I still do, that maybe she's a vampire."

I was shocked. I mean, I kinda believed in paranormal activity, but this was too much. Vampires? Werewolves? Real?? But the thing that really shocked me is that they could be anyone, they could go unnoticed.

Next, Gina told me how to spot vampires and werewolves. She also said that I should be cautious with people now. Some could tell if humans knew the secret, so it's best not to seem so obvious. She also mentioned that they had a rivalry with the vampires, and she felt that it was best if I stayed away from the vampires.

Then, I started worrying. If the real-life vampires and werewolves are as strong as the book (Bite Me) and Gina describes them, that means everyone in Forks is in danger.

Once upon a time I used to like vampires, I even wanted to become one. But with all that information that Gina told me, I want to kill every single vampire which lives here in Forks. It won't be an easy task, but with Gina and her werewolf family with me, it's gonna be a whole lot easier.

*****