Surprise!

What is this? An unexpected update on this tremendously old story I wrote.

The reason for this update is because Surviving Cancer just hit 1 MILLION reads! That's wild guys.  I mean for those that have pestered me enough that we've become internet friends (😏 love you) you know how cringy I find this story.  I get it, I wrote it years ago, when I was young and naive and still finding my voice as an author.  I suppose we should still celebrate this enormous milestone though because it is pretty awesome that so many people have read it. 

So without further ado, I'm giving you a little (probably awful) treat.  I casually started writing some additional scenes to one of these characters lives and I'm going to share them.  Just keep in mind, they are completely unedited, not in any sort of chronological order.  Basically just me free writing to see if there was a potential story. But regardless here it is.

The following is mostly told form Skylar's POV. Oh also *Trigger Warning* there is self harm and suicide themes in the following.

                                                                                          ---------------

Flashback of Matt

I should have saw Matt coming. Which only pissed me off more. He was so fucked up.

Matt was definitely more Jared's friend than he ever was mine. I felt like I was always trying to impress him, make him think I was cool. But really even then I was drowning. And I knew Matt was too. It was obvious, I could see all the signs. Jared couldn't.

I remember one day out of pure desperation and fear of my own thoughts and feelings I told Matt. I told Matt about the dark hole I was falling into. I thought maybe, I don't know, he'd care. He'd admit he was too. We'd help each other.

But not Matt.

Matt just told me to get it over with. He was gonna.

A week later I watched him die.

—————————

Calls 911 on himself

I felt drunk. Everything a little hazy. Fucking exhausted.

Was this what it felt like for everything to disappear. For the constant fucking battle to stop. My eyes felt so heavy, I could just shut them and never wake up.

The thought sounded kinda peaceful really.

My head fell to my side, my phone vibrating in my open hand. I couldn't open my eyes, the pills doing their best to pull me under. It went off again, I could feel my eyebrows raised an attempt to get my eyelids to open.

One eye cracked just long enough for me to see Jared's name on the screen, the picture of Bella in the background staring back at me.

Panic tried to rise within me as the gravity of what I'd just done hit me. My eyes closed, my breathing slowed. Fuck.

Bella. She was so young.

Jared was gonna fucking hate me.

I forced my eyes opened, everything blurry through the little slits. My head felt foggy, my limbs heavy. It took all I head to get my phone to ding with the sound of Siri.

"Ca..ni..won..on."I mumbled.

"I'm sorry, I did not understand, please say a command again." Siri asked.