Thursday, October 19 Cont'd

MACI POV

I had spent my third hour in the office with my dad going over everything and anything about my cancer. The principle was going to inform all the teachers, even though the majority of them had no idea who I was and he was going to have a special sit down with the teachers I actually had. If I missed school or went home, Levi was going to collect my schoolwork. And the principle wanted me to be on a first name basis with the school nurse, not that she'd be able to help if a wave of nausea hit me or anything else. I agreed though, there wasn't a lot else I could do.

"Alright Macin, are you sure you're okay?" My dad asked as we stepped from the office.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I said, I wasn't going to let the fact that I was exhausted hold me back from being in school.

My dad pulled me into a hug, "I'll see you at home then honey. I love you."

"I love you too daddy." I said snuggling deeper into his chest.

He kissed the top of my head before we both pulled away. "Tell your brother I love him too."

"Okay." I said, waving as I headed down the hallway.

I wasn't looking forward to everyone finding out but I knew that it had to happen now that I had started treatment. It was only going to get worse. I just didn't want all the stares. I didn't care if they asked questions at least then I didn't feel like I was some diseased freak they were all afraid of. I had cancer that was it.

"Maci!" I spun around at the sound of my name. "Can I talk to you?"

Jared said, picking up a slight jog to catch up with me. "Sure what's up?"

"What's going on?" He asked, standing in front of me.

His hair was it's usual perfectly messy self. He had on a black V-neck that was snug around his arms and hit him right at he waistband. He always looked so put together but like he never tried. I wondered if that was his intention. There was something to be said about a guy who looked like didn't have to try to be gorgeous.

"Nothing." I said, shaking my head slightly, I couldn't ogle over Jared. It was Jared. We were friends. And I had Skylar.

He let out a sigh, dropping his eyes to the floor. "I talked to Levi, he told me something bad is happening with you. What is it?"

I opened my mouth to protest, but nothing came out. He was going to find out eventually and I knew that but this is what I had wanted to avoid the whole time. But yet again Levi beat me to it. How was I suppose to tell him I was keeping this giant secret from him this whole time even though he spilled his guts to me? No matter what way I spun it now it was going to suck for him to know that he trusted me but I didn't trust him.

"So what is it? Please. Can I help? Or something? Anything?" He begged, his eyes locked with mine, searching for answers.

"Jared, I...it's just...I...um." I stammered, shaking my head as I frantically rushed to collect my thoughts.

"Levi said it was really bad, how bad is really bad?" Jared asked.

I covered my face with my hands, "Promise me something first."

"What? Anything. I promise. I don't care what it is." He said instantly.

"No promise me you won't walk away." I said quietly, holding my hands in a fist in front of me.

"I'm not going anywhere I swear." He said, his forehead creased with concern.

"Say you promise." I insisted.