Saturday, October 14 & Tuesday, October 17

LEVI POV

Later that night after homecoming, we were all back at our place in the basement.  We had already stripped ourselves of our fancy attire and were rocking sweats and t-shirts.  I had been a little concerned about how Emma and Jackie were going to get along.  So I was a little surprised when the three girls all cuddled up on the couch next to each other, gossiping about the dresses they saw tonight.  Greg and I however were left with Skylar and that unnerving feeling of having nothing at all to say.  Anyone could have seen how awkward it was between us.  Skylar was just standing there glancing around the room while Greg and I talked.  I looked over at the girls, feeling someone staring at me.  Maci nudged her head in the direction of Skylar.  I knew exactly what she meant.  She wanted me to include him.  But what do you say to a guy you've hated since you met him?  What was I supposed to do walk over and be like "hey I know I've been a dick but seems how you refuse to stay away from my sister like I asked let's be friends?" I think not.  I shrugged my shoulders, giving her innocent look.  She shook her head and rolled her eyes.  Even though we weren't saying anything and our gestures were so minuscule I knew she was frustrated with me.  I turned my attention back to Greg who'd been talking about I don't even know what the entire time I had my silent conversation with Maci. 

"Dude we should totally do that what do you think?" Greg asked."

"Oh yeah, definitely." I agreed even though I had know idea what I was agreeing too.

I tuned him out again as I watched Skylar walk over to Maci.  They had a short conversation before Skylar leaned down and kissed her on the lips.  I felt my muscles tighten as I watched.  The over protective brother in me wanted to go deck him one but instead I stood there and watched.  Maci smiled up at him, her brown eyes sparkling.  Skylar turned and headed up the stairs.  I turned back to Greg who was still carrying on about something.

"Hey I'll be right back." I said, cutting him off mid sentence.

I didn't wait for him to respond as I booked it up the stairs after Skylar.  My heart was beating hard as I hit the top
  step.  I took a deep breath, telling it to slow down.  There was no reason for me to be nervous.  It should be the other way around.  I turned the corner into the kitchen.  Skylar was filling up a glass of water at the sink. 

"Hey." I said, taking a slight satisfaction in the fact I made him jump.

"Oh hey." He said, glancing over his shoulder at me.

I let out a small sigh, I was doing this for Maci, not so much because I liked the guy.  And maybe it wouldn't be so bad having someone else around for Maci this time through.  If Maci thought Skylar was that guy then I shouldn't stand in her way of having someone else there for her. 

"Listen, man, I feel like we might have gotten off on the wrong foot." I said, shoving my hands into my pockets.

Skylar turned around taking a sip out of his glass.  "What do you mean?"

"I know I was sort of a dick.  But you don't understand how rough of a life Maci had.  I was just trying to protect her." I said.

Skylar nodded his head, "I understand, I have a little sister that lives with my dad.  I'll probably be the same when she gets older."

"This is different though, Maci's sick.  You can't just be there for her one day and not the next.  She's got enough to deal with."  I watched his every move, waiting for him to give me a sign that he was going to cave.

"I know and I plan on being there." Skylar said, his face nothing but serious.

I ran my hand through my hair, "It's going to get bad if it's anything like last time."  He didn't say anything.  "You break her heart and I'm going to beat the crap out of you, you know that right?"