Saturday, October 28 Cont'd

MACI POV

I could hear her breathing catch. My own heart was pounding in my ears. I kept my eyes locked with Levi's, he just stood there watching me.

"Maci?" She finally answered. "Is that you?"

I nodded my head, my mouth forgetting how to form words. I had waited so long for this moment and now that it was here I had no idea what to say.

"Yeah it's me." I mumbled.

"How are you?" I could hear in her voice she started crying which brought tears to my eyes in seconds.

"You're real." I said out loud, I was still in shock. I couldn't believe that I was talking to her. This woman I had dreamed about my entire life. She was now just a phone call away. She was stifling sobs, her breathing shaky. Out of all the questions I had thought I wanted to ask when I finally got the chance only one stayed with me. It was the ultimate question but I had to know the answer. "Why didn't you want us?"

Her sobs quieted, Levi's eyes went wide. I swallowed hard as I waited.

She took a deep breath, her voice was thick from crying. "It's not that I didn't want you."

"Then what is it?" I pressed.

"I told your brother, it's complicated." She answered, I bit my lip. "Let's not talk about that, tell me about yourself."

"But that's what I want to talk about." I insisted, it sounded over dramatic but there was a possibility I would never get this chance again. And I had to know.

"Maci honey, let's talk about it later. I'm just so happy to hear your voice. Levi said you like music." Jennifer continued.

I pinched my eyebrows together, my eyes still locked with Levi's. I swallowed and licked my lips. "But I might not have later."

I let my words linger in the phone. She didn't say anything, I couldn't hear her crying, but she was there. I could hear a very soft inhale and exhale as she contemplated her decision. I balled my hand into a fist, clenching my teeth together for a second. I wanted to know, I needed to know and she wasn't going to tell me, I could feel it.

"Nevermind." I snapped. Within a second I handed the phone off to Levi and stormed into the house.

I ran straight to my room, slamming my door behind me as I collided with my bed. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I knew it wasn't going to solve anything but I buried my face in my pillow and did it anyway.

"Maci." Levi said from outside my door.

"I'm fine." I mumbled, my face still pushed into my pillow. "I'm tired, I'm just going to go to bed."

I heard him crack the door open. "You didn't eat dinner."

"I'll eat in a little, I'm going to take a nap." I said.

Levi sighed, "This is why I didn't want to tell you about her."

"Levi I'm fine. I don't care, I'm just really tired right now." I pressed.

He didn't say anything for a minute but I knew he was still standing there trying to figure out if he should push me or not, I just wanted to be alone. He let out another sigh and I heard him shift his weight.

"Alright, let me know if you need anything. I love you." He said.

"Love you too." I mumbled back.

My door clicked shut and I lay there in the dark. I was so angry. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, scrolling through my contacts. I typed a quick text message and sent it. A second later my phone went off.