Monday, October 9

Ta-DAH! Another upload.  This is what happens when you get in a fight with your boyfriend and can't sleep.  Bad for me, good for you guys!  I didn't proofread and my eyes are burning and slightly puffy so I'm sorry if there's a TON of mistakes.  One of these days I'll get to proofreading this entire story.  By one of these days I mean very VERY far off in the future.  Anyway, enjoy!  -DBR

P.S. Thanks EVERYONE! for commenting, voting, and adding this story.  It makes my day every time my newsfeed says someone added it :)!

MACI POV

I had texted Jackie Sunday night asking her to meet me at school early Monday.  I took the car leaving Levi to sleep in, he asked Greg to pick him up.  I slammed the door of the SUV, swinging my backpack up on my shoulder and hitting the lock on the key fob.  The car horn beeped and the lights flashed into the early morning fog.  Michigan was starting to cool off altogether, which made the mornings freezing.  I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my Columbia, pulling it tight around me as I made my way to the doors.  Jackie's car was nowhere in sight which meant I'd have enough time to run to my locker and get my things for first hour before meeting her.  It was always so strange to be in school and the hallways be deserted.  It gave me the shivers.  I felt like I was in some scary high school horror film.  I tucked my notebook under my arm so I could text Jackie as I headed for our "predetermined rendezvous point" or prp as Jackie referred to it as.  I sent her a text that said "at prp" and turned my phone to vibrate.  I sat down on the floor and started going through the many different ways to tell your best friend you have cancer.  Should I just spit it out as soon as she walks up like "Hey good morning by the way my cancer came back" or should I lay it on slow like "So remember how I had cancer?  It might be back.  And by might I mean it is" or I could always just use the A Walk to Remember line "Landon I'm sick" which of course then she'd say something like Landon did "go see a doctor" and then I'll have to say "no I have cancer."  Really anyway you spun it, it was going to suck.

"Hey girly!  Why'd you want to meet so early?  The suspense is killing.  Is it something about Skylar or Jared?" Jackie said, her usual bouncy self.  She slid down the wall next to me so her entire left side was pressed up against my right.

I suddenly felt uneasy, I could feel my chest tighten and my breathing quicken.  My hands were even getting a little sweaty.  It was so much easier to say it when I was pissed off at Skylar.  The words just fell out of my mouth without consulting my brain first.  I took a deep breath and stared at my  hands in my lap.

"My cancer came back."

Well I guess I was going with the direct approach.

Jackie didn't say anything, in fact I wasn't even if sure if she was breathing anymore.  I glanced up, her eyes were wide as she stared at me.  I decided to continue.

"I found out last week, that's why Levi and I missed school.  I would have told you sooner but I wanted to do it in person..."

"You're going to be okay though right?" She finally said, cutting me off mid sentence.

I shrugged my shoulders, "It's hard to say.  We'll know better once I start treatment."

"This is crazy.  I don't get it, you look fine.  Who else knows?  Does Greg?  Have you checked all your options?  I mean maybe there's some new drug or all natural cure or something.  There's got to be something." Her mouth was going as fast as it could as she rattled one thing after another off.

"Jackie." I shouted over her, causing her to stop and stare at me wide-eyed again.  "Levi, Skylar, and you know.  That's it.  Everyone's going to find out eventually but for now I'd like to keep it to just that."