Tuesday, September 26

LEVI POV

I tossed off my covers, stumbling out of bed as my alarm blared at full volume.  I turned the alarm off and found the light switch blind.  I rubbed my eyes, blinking repeatedly until they adjusted to the light.  I took a quick shower, rubbing some gel through my hair and brushed my teeth.  I slipped into a pair of jeans, a plain gray shirt and a blue plaid flannel.  I grabbed my phone and wallet and flicked my light off.  I stepped into the hallway, hearing Maci's music playing.  A smile came to my face, she was singing a long.  I quietly slipped past her room and down the stairs to the kitchen.  The smell of bacon and eggs filled my nose.  I turned the corner into the kitchen, my dad was sitting on one of the stools his face buried in a newspaper and my mom was standing over the stove.

"Morning." I said, taking a seat next to my dad.

"Hey honey." My mom said, glancing over her shoulder.  "Can you do me a favor?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Can you just watch the eggs for a minute, I'll be right back." She said, handing me the spatula as I came to stand next to her.  "Thanks."

I nodded my head, watching the yellow liquid, slosh around in the frying pan.  "Dad."

"Levi." I heard him rustle his newspaper.

"Nothing never mind." I mumbled.

I heard the newspaper crinkle and glanced over my shoulder to see my dad placing his glasses on top of his now folded newspaper.

"Out with it." He said.

I took a deep breath, watching the eggs form into little yellow rubbery chunks of food.  "Do you ever worry about it coming back?"

I heard him sigh, I pictured him running his hand through his short dark brown hair.  "Of course I do Levi, I worry about it everyday."

I nodded my head, I could feel tears swelling up in my eyes.  "What if it does?"

"Then we'll do everything we can just like last time." The stool scraped against the wood floor.  "What's going on son?"

"I know you said I have to let her go..." I took another deep breath; I always got way too emotional when it came to Maci. "I'm just so afraid that one day she won't be here and I'll be kicking myself for it.  I mean we hung out with other people yesterday and she was constantly on my mind."  I looked up at my dad as he placed a hand on my shoulder.  "She's my other half."

"Morning daddy." Maci's voice caused my dad and me to break eye contact.  "Hey Levi."

I watched as she gave dad a kiss, snuggling into his chest as he hugged her.  My dad looked at me again, he didn't have to say anything, I knew what he was thinking.  I could see it in his eyes; he was just as torn as I was.  Wanting to protect her from everything, wanting to see all the perfect moments in her life, but he was capable of doing what I was not.  He knew how to let her live, even if it meant he wasn't there for all those moments.

"Maci, Levi, have a seat.  Thank you honey." My mom said reappearing, she shooed me away from the stove and dished out our breakfast onto plates.  My dad wrapped his arms around her kissing her cheek as she fumbled around the kitchen.  "What are you guys doing after school?"

"I met this girl yesterday, she wants to hang out so I might bring her home tonight so we can chill here." I muttered, watching Maci as she stuffed a piece of bacon in her mouth.

"Who?" Maci asked while chewing.

"Emma, she's Bailey's friend."

"I thought you liked Bailey?"

Surviving CancerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara