Tuesday, October 3 Cont'd

MACI POV

"Hey mom!Hey dad!" I yelled as I shoved open the door to the house.Jared dropped me off after we went to the cider mill.

"Hey honey, we're in the kitchen!" My mom called.

I kicked my shoes off before going to the kitchen.My dad was sitting at the counter, a bottle of beer in his hand.My mom was sipping on a glass of a wine as she looked over his shoulder at something on the counter.I walked up giving them both a quick kiss.

"Did you have fun today?" My mom asked.

"Yeah I did, I had a lot of fun." A smile appeared on my face as I thought about eating donuts with Jared by the little pond in the woods.

My phone started going off in my pocket.I wiggled it out, glancing at the caller ID.I motioned to my phone before running up the stairs answering it as I went.

"Hello."

"Hi Maci." It was Skylar."Listen I'm sorry."

"It's okay..."

"I just don't want to talk about Jared and everything." He said cutting me off.

I closed my door behind me, resting my back against the door. "Okay."

"I'm sorry I got mad." I heard him sigh."Let me make it up to you?"

"Okay." I said, a smile tugging at the corner of my mouth.

"Okay, I'm sorry again.I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

I nodded my head, "Yeah."

"See ya."

"Bye."

I hung up the phone, tossing my phone on my bed and grabbed my guitar.I grabbed my notebook and a pen.I sat on the floor with my back against my bed.I strummed out a melody that had formed in my head while Jared and I were lying in the grass earlier.My fingers plucked at the strings like they had a mind of their own.I stopped every few notes to write what I played down or change what I had written.It didn't take long until I had a song strung together and started working on the lyrics.

I glanced up at the clock on my nightstand.It was nearly nine.I had been holed up in my room with my guitar for basically two hours.I leaned against the side of my bed, my guitar next to me.I grabbed my notebook, reading over my latest creation.I made a few quick changes before picking up my guitar again.I cleared my throat, shifting my guitar slightly before strumming out the first few notes.I repeated it once before continuing on.I sang the lyrics I had written down, stopping almost every line to tweak the wording or breaks.When I was finally satisfied, I took a deep breath before plunging into the song.My fingers flowed over the strings effortlessly; my voice was strong and clear.I hit the chorus, closing my eyes as I belted out the words.I went to hold the last note, it wasn't a difficult note and I had hit my breathing perfectly.My lungs started to burn as I strained to pull air from them.I brought my hand down on the strings, silencing my guitar before starting the chorus over again.I reached the last note again, that terrible burning building as I clung to the hope that I could hold it.I had held notes longer then that and it was comfortably in my range.I rested my head on my guitar, closing my eyes.It was just my imagination.That's it.I took a deep breath, starting the chorus again.I could feel the anxiety rushing through my veins as I started the last line.I hit the last note, holding it as long as I could.Until my lungs cried for air.I closed my eyes, my chest rising and falling as my lungs gasped for breath.I kept telling myself it was nothing.It didn't mean anything.Maybe I was just tired or getting sick.It wasn't a sign.I was cancer free.The doctors said so.There was no way, I was in remission.
                   --------------
LEVI POV

I pulled into the driveway, shutting the car off and grabbing my bag out of the back.Then sun was already setting even though it was barely eight o'clock.I hit the lock button on the key fob, swinging my bag over my shoulder as I headed to the door.I kicked my shoes off once I was inside, dropping my bag to the floor.My parents were on the couch; my dad had his arms wrapped around my mom, her head resting on his chest as they watched TV.

"Hi." I said, walking over and sitting on the other couch.

"How was your day?" My dad asked, reaching for the remote that was balancing on the arm of the couch.

"Good, I hung out with Greg.We played a little one on one."

"Oh yeah?Are you thinking about trying out?" He turned the volume down on the TV, both my mom and dad giving me their full attention.

I shrugged, "No probably not."

My parents never pushed Maci or I to do things we didn't want to do.I did know though that both of them enjoyed sports immensely.My mom had played softball all through high school and into college.My dad before Maci and I came along had been the captain of his high school's football and basketball team.

"Are you hungry honey?Do you want anything to eat?" My mom asked.

"I'm alright, Greg's dad brought home pizza." I shifted on my feet."Is Maci home yet?"

"Yeah she's up stairs."

I shoved myself off the couch. I bounded up the stairs, slowing my speed as I neared Maci's door.She was singing.I leaned against the wall, listening to her voice carry through the walls.It was one of her songs, I hadn't heard it before, it must have been new but I could tell it was hers.Maci's songs had a certain style to them and she always sang her songs different then when she sang covers.She had a strong, pure voice, completely distinct.I closed my eyes, listening to her muffled voice.She held out a note before silence followed.I took that as my cue to knock on her door.I had to tell her about Jared and Skylar's friend before they had the chance to tell her.

"Maci, can I come in?" I asked, rapping my knuckles gently on her door.

I heard her clear her throat and shuffle around."Yeah."

I pushed the door open, quickly taking in the guitar on the floor by Maci and the notebook tossed several feet away.Maci's eyes were wide as they met mine.

"What's wrong?" I blurted instantly going to her side.

She shook her head no, forcing a smile on her face."I'm fine."

I slid down next to her, wrapping my arm around her.She rested her head on my shoulder and I leaned my head on hers."No you're not, what happened?Did Skylar or Jared do something?"

I tried my best to keep my voice soft but the tension running through my body was overwhelming.If either of those two dicks did anything to Maci I was gong to have their head.

"No it's not them." She whispered.

I felt my shirt tighten against me as Maci clutched it in her fist.She pushed her face into my chest.My throat tightened as my heart rate picked up.I knew what this was.We spent many hours in this same position, granted for the past five years they were very few and far between but there was no way I'd ever forget this feeling.I would never forget the first time she fell into my arms helpless and scared.Clutching my shirt desperately as if it was some sort of lifeline.That if she could just hold on tight enough everything negative would fall to the wayside.I wrapped my arms around her, gently kissing the top of her head.I took a deep breath, hoping to steady myself.I had to hear her say it.I had to know that I wasn't imagining the worse, that she was thinking the same thing.

"Tell me Macin."

She tightened her grip on me as a sob escaped her lips.I closed my eyes, fighting to keep my tears at bay.

"I think it's back."