Friday, January 19 Cont'd

MACI POV

I had been exchanging messages with Craig almost nonstop the previous two days. But it did nothing to stop the nerves that trickled in when he messaged saying he was available to FaceTime. I had been pacing the room, checking the clock every few minutes as it neared closer to one. I was waiting for two things to happen. Levi to call me after the speech was first, inevitable really, and Craig to text saying he had time. My phone vibrated which had me hurtling toward the bed. I unlocked on my phone going straight to my messages. Craig had beaten Levi. I opened the message and all it said was 'ready when you are'.

I had a beanie on, covering the stubble that was my hair growing back in. I hadn't told Craig about my cancer yet. We had been communicating so well I was afraid to say anything that might change that. He had been so excited when I told him that Eric was actually my father. It was a reaction that I had not expected.

I took a couple deep breaths, typing back 'ready' and then I waited. My phone clutched in my hand. It almost instantly started vibrating with an incoming FaceTime. I bit my lip, taking one last deep breath. I shouldn't be nervous, it wasn't like he was here. I hit accept, yanking the oxygen tube from my face as it said 'connecting...'.

"Hey!" Craig's voice came through the speaker as his face appeared.

He was smiling and I couldn't help the tug at my heart as I took in his features. He looked just like Levi only older. He had the same dark hair and brown eyes with the same chiseled jaw line.

"Hi." I said back, my smile matching his.

"How are you?" He asked. "God you look so much like him."

He shook his head, his hand covered his mouth as he stared at me through his phone. I smiled not really sure if it was a compliment or not.

"Sorry it's just. Crazy. Amazing. I just still can't believe that you're here. Real." He said. "Thank you, for this."

I nodded my head. It felt like it was for me just as much as it was for Craig.

"No problem."

"Have you told your brother yet?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No I haven't. I will though."

"I'd love to talk to him too." Craig said. "I can't tell you how awesome this is."  He paused, his smiling falling a little. "Eric, he's...he's still my brother. I still love him. And it kills me that he can't be in my life. But getting to know you and Levi, would be wonderful."

I had wanted to ask why he no longer talked to Eric. In fact I had almost asked the question several times already. But each time something held me back and this time was no exception.

"I would like that too." I said a smile on my face. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You can ask me anything." Craig responded.

"Do you have any other brothers or sisters?" I asked.

Even though we had been exchanging messages back and forth they had been centered mostly on him and Levi and I. I hadn't asked about his family and he hadn't told.

"Ah, yes. I'm the oldest, then I have a sister, your aunt, her name is Samantha, we call her Sammie. Then Eric and our younger brother Charley."