Monday, October 9 Cont'd

LEVI POV

I tucked my books up under my arm as I headed for lunch. Unfortunately I didn't have lunch with Emma which would have presented a perfect opportunity to show her off in front of Jackie. I skipped down the stairs, seeing Maci already standing in line for pizza. I weaved my way through the crowds, wrapping my arm around her shoulders and kissing her head.

"Hey how'd it go this morning? I didn't really get a chance to ask you." I asked. I slipped in line behind her.

"Good. Great really." She said, a smile spread across her face. "How's being the center of everyone's attention?"

I shrugged my shoulders, I didn't really care about everyone's attention I just wanted Jackie's. "It's alright I guess."

I grabbed a tray of pizza and paid for both Maci's and my lunch before following her to a table. Britney, Erin, and Sarah were already sitting there, talking animatedly between each other. Maci and I reached the table about the same time as Jackie, her eyes instantly locked with me as she sat down next to Maci. I couldn't read her expression before she looked away, redirecting her attention to Maci. The two of them started talking, leaving me alone with my pizza.

"So you're dating Emma now?" Britney asked as I bit into my lunch. I nodded my head in agreement. "Too bad."

"Oh yeah?" I raised my eyebrows, a smile pulling at the corners of my mouth.

Her cheeks reddened slightly but she didn't elaborate. Instead she turned to Sarah, ending our conversation there.

I glanced over in Jackie's direction hoping I could catch her looking at me. She either didn't care or was trying hard to ignore me. I did, however, notice Maci poking her pizza around her plate.

"Maci." I whispered as I leaned into her shoulder. I didn't want to make a scene.

"Huh?" She asked, holding her finger up to Jackie for a minute.

"You need to eat." Her brown eyes met mine; she didn't even have to say what she was thinking. "I know, but you need to."

She nodded her head, returning to her conversation with Jackie. She only glanced at me when she picked up her pizza and took a bite. I gave her a small smile as I finished mine.

Maci was starting treatment this week. Wednesday after school to be exact. My mom and I were going with her because our dad had a meeting he couldn't miss. I knew my dad hated that he couldn't be there with us for every appointment. And I knew that Maci understood. But at the same time, he was missing out on so much. And if Maci didn't make it this time, he'd never got those moments back. I knew he had to work so that we could have everything we did and I was thankful for all that. But at the same time, we needed him too.

When the bell finally rang signaling that lunch was over I grabbed my tray and Maci's. I tossed the trays in the garbage before giving Maci a hug and kiss. I started for my next class, my head down as I watched myself place one foot in front of the other.

"Levi!" I turned around hearing my name as I saw Jackie fast approaching.

"Hey what's up?" I asked, sounding as nonchalant as I could.

"Why didn't you tell me you were dating Emma?" She came to a halt inches from me, her green eyes locked with mine.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know, I didn't really tell anyone. It just happened over the weekend."

"Really because Bailey said you were flaunting it all around the school this morning." Jackie snapped.

"Well she is my girlfriend now. Am I not allowed to act like she is?" I snapped back. "You and Greg are always all over each other."