Monday, January 22 (Finale)

MACI POV

I sat in a wheelchair, a travel tank of oxygen beside me. I was bundled in a coat and scarf, a blanket wrapped around my legs. I was waiting for my dad to pull the car up. I was going home.

I felt Levi's hand on my shoulder. "Ready?"

I looked up at him, he was smiling. His beanie was lopsided on his head.

"So ready." I said.

Levi couldn't see the smile underneath the blue surgical mask I wore but it was huge. I was beyond ready to go home.

"There's dad." Levi said grabbing the handles of the wheelchair to push me out the last set of doors. He swung the oxygen tank onto his shoulder as he walked.

"Alright let's load up." My dad said, meeting us at the side of his SUV.

I took my dads outstretched hand, letting him pull me from the chair. I climbed into the backseat, spreading the blanket back out over my legs. I wasn't accustomed to Michigan's freezing weather. I had spent most of it inside the hospital. There was a light flurry going on. It made the sky twinkle as the sun reflected off of the little crystals. The ground however has covered in brown slush mud, dead grass patches showing through piles of dirty snow. I didn't care though. I took a deep breath, the cold air freezing my nostrils shut for a moment. It felt so good to breath outside air. It didn't matter what you did, hospital air was always so stale.

My dad and Levi slid into the car a moment later, Levi taking a seat in the back with me. I reached for his hand but as usual he was already waiting. I laced my fingers with his, his skin warm despite the freezing temperatures outside. My dad began navigating his way out of the hospital traffic and onto the main road.

I was so excited I could barely talk. My chest was tight but in the good sort of way. Like it couldn't contain the amount of excitement rushing through my body. I felt Levi squeeze my hand three times to silently say that he loved me. I squeezed his hand three times back.

"Your mom hasn't stopped cleaning since Friday." My dad said.

"Yeah she's been going nuts. I think she took the doctors a little too serious." Levi added.

My dad chuckled and I smiled wider. If that was possible.

"She got your room all clean and ready but if you're not up to the stairs we can stick to what we were doing before." My dad said.

I was determined to be in my room even if I had to take a break every step. I was going home to my room.

"It's okay. I'll be fine." I said.

We fell into silence. It wasn't strained, in fact it was peaceful and content. I watched the landscape pass by. Michigan definitely lacked sunshine and happiness in the winter but I found myself not missing Florida. Michigan was home now. And now that I was on the mend and things were looking up I couldn't be more excited to explore my life here. I couldn't wait for a few more months to pass. To slowly see my health return, my energy. This time I wasn't going to wait idly by waiting for the 'all clear'. I was going to do things that scared me and say what I was thinking. I wasn't going to hold back this time. Because if there was anything I learned from going through what I went through twice is that not everyone got their second chance. And I sure as hell didn't want to take mine for granted.

I could see my reflection in the window as we drove, a permanent smile etched on my face. I let out a small sigh, slightly from relief but also just from feeling content. I hadn't felt that in months. I let my head drop to Levi's shoulder and he turned to kiss my beanie.

"Everything okay?" He whispered so only I could hear.

Everything was more than okay. Being 30 days out, being allowed to go home. It made me feel like anything was possible. I knew there was still a long road ahead but I did it. I made it. I had my parents and Levi, probably the worlds best family. I had the excitement of learning about some of my biological family through Craig. I had a handful of friends that had stayed by my side and had been nothing short of supportive. And I had Jared. What could possibly stop me now?

I turned to look up at Levi, his brown eyes dancing between mine. I smiled, happiness bubbling up in my chest as I opened my mouth to speak.

"I'm just happy."

                            ------------

Well there it is guys. We're all done. Crazy huh? Make sure you all stay tuned for the author's note that is immediately following! You guys are awesome!  -DBR