Wednesday, October 18 & Thursday, October 19

LEVI POV

I kicked my shoes off at the door later that night when I got home. I pulled my sweatshirt off over my head, tossing it on the back of one of the couches. I poked my head in the kitchen, looking for any sign of life. No one was in there so I walked back through the living room and down the hallway to my parent's room.

"Mom? Dad?" I called, their door was closed but the lights were on.

"Come in." My mom yelled from the other side.

I pushed open the door, my parent's were sitting on their bed, my dad's laptop in front of them both.

"Come here." My dad said, "What do you think about this?"

I crawled across the comforter leaning over the back of the computer to see what was on the screen. "You're really going to buy her one?"

"Yeah, you were right. I think she misses it a lot." He said, spinning the computer around so I could take a better look.

I scrolled the pages of pianos. They were looking at baby grand pianos. In Florida she had her white grand piano in the sunroom.

"Which one are you guys going to get?" I asked, settling on one in a dark wood stain.

"We can't decide." My mom said, "What do you think? I like the cherry wood and your dad likes black."

"I like this one." I spun the computer around so they could see. "But I don't honestly think it'll matter."

My dad smiled, "Yeah you're probably right."

"Where is Maci anyway? Is Jackie still over?" I asked, pushing myself off the bed.

"She's in bed, Jackie went home right when we got home." My mom said.

She didn't have to explain I knew exactly what she meant. The chemo had made her sick. I wasn't there either to be by her side. My parent's must have seen a look of panic cross my face because they both instantly started to tell me she was fine.

"Levi she's fine, she's sleeping." My dad said.

"I'm going to go check on her." I said, already heading out the door.

How could I have let her talk me into going to hang out with Greg? I should have been there with her. She needed me and I let her down. I should have known better. I took the stairs two at a time, reaching her door in seconds. I turned the doorknob, quietly pushing the door open. It was dark in her room, the light from the moon outside casting shadows. I walked over to her bed, kneeling down beside it. I brushed some of her brown hair out of her face, quietly saying her name. She finally stirred after the third time, her brown eyes opening slowly.

"Hey how are you feeling?" I asked. She fumbled for my hand, lacing her fingers with mine and turning on her side. She winced, rolling flat on her back again. The port was uncomfortable.

"I'm okay." Her voice was thick with sleep.

"Did you throw up?" She nodded her head, letting out a yawn. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there Maci."

I saw her smile, "Levi it's fine. Besides I told you to go."

"But I shouldn't have listened." I said running my hand through my hair and pulling at the ends. We sat there in silence for a minute, Maci's eyes were closed as she held my hand against her chest. I just watched her. This was real, we were doing this again. All the days spent cooped up in the house again because the treatments made her too sick were back. "How did Jackie do?" I finally asked.

She shrugged her shoulders, keeping her eyes closed as she talked. "I think it scared her. She wouldn't say if it did or not though."

I nodded my head, even though she wasn't looking. "Are you going to school tomorrow?"