Tuesday, December 5

Did I scare you all? Thought I disappeared? I didn't. I did however have a crazy week. I had family in town plus I got commissioned to do a piece of art for a beer label for a local brewery. They sprung it on me so I had to buckle down and make it my priority. I finished and I'm back! Plus writing Maci's part was like pulling teeth for the majority of it. I think I wrote the first half a sentence at a time. But anyway ENJOY! - DBR

MACI POV

I slowly opened my eyes. My surroundings becoming less blurry the more I blinked. I had fallen asleep on the couch, the TV playing quietly in the background. Someone had covered me with a blanket at some point. I yawned, stretching my arms up over my head. I wrestled my beanie back over my head, groping for my phone on the floor. I unlocked it, going through my messages. I had been receiving a lot of texts lately because of how much school I was missing. I scrolled down to Jared's name. I had an unread text from him.

Jared: I took credit for the last pot you made in pottery. So you know.

I smiled, the last day I was at pottery we had been finishing up touches on the pots we made on the wheel.

Me: did you at least make it a good color?

Jared: I was thinking seems how I took credit for it the least I could do is let you keep it.

Me: you're so kind

Me: is it so ugly you don't want to be reminded of it?

Jared: can I stop by after school?

I smiled. He was being Jared, avoiding all my questions so he could get his way. The chemo had been making me sick but I was curious just how bad he had massacred my pot.

Me: I've been kind of sick today.

Jared: I don't mind, we can chill in the bathroom if you want

I shook my head as I laughed a little.

Me: I'm just warning you I might throw up

Jared: I'd offer to hold back your hair but you took care of that for me

Me: you can hold my beanie

Jared: I'm honored.

Jared: I think I'm about to lose my phone. If I stop texting back I'll see you after school. I love you.

Me: stop being bad and pay attention then.

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face or the butterflies that ran rampant in my stomach. I locked my phone, tossing it back on the floor. I shoved the blanket off, pushing myself up to a seated position. I glanced down at my clothes, realizing I looked like a complete slob. Jared would be here in an hour and even though I knew he wouldn't care I still didn't want to look quite so rough. I could hear my mom in the kitchen talking to someone. I looked at the stairs and then back at the kitchen. Maybe my mom would go get me some clean clothes.

I pushed myself off the couch and shuffled into the kitchen. Joanna was sitting on a bar stool, a glass of wine in front of her. My mom had pulled a bar stool to the other side of the island where she was sitting, her hands around a mug.

"Hey honey." My mom said, watching as I made my way to a bar stool. "Can I get you something?"

I tugged at my oxygen, forcing it to give me a little more slack.

"I was wondering if you could get me some clean clothes?" I asked. "Jared's coming over after school to drop off my pot from pottery."

I didn't even have to look over to know that Joanna had a crooked smile spread across her face.