Sunday, December 31

MACI POV

I propped my phone up in the blankets on my bed so I could be hands free.

"There can you see me?" I asked.

"Yup." Jared said, that easy smile on his face.

"Good."

So what were you doing before I called?" Jared asked.

I pushed my guitar over as I settled back against my pillows.

"I was just playing the guitar." I answered.

"Working on something new?" He said.

His hair was disheveled like normal, he had a gray t-shirt on with a logo partially visible.

I shrugged, feeling my checks reddened with embarrassment. "Nothing really."

I didn't want to tell him I was working on learning his favorite song. I wasn't even sure if I'd play it for him once I learned it. But learning the chords and the lyrics made me feel closer to him. Especially while all we could do is FaceTime. It wasn't that I wasn't allowed to see people but my parents didn't want a million people coming in and out. They were concerned about me catching something. Which I understood seems how I had virtually no immune system at the moment but it didn't change the fact that I missed Jared like crazy. I wanted to see him, I wanted to feel him lace his fingers with mine and I wanted to press my lips to his. It was basically consuming my thoughts.

"Will you play something?" He asked.

I shook my head no, sucking in my lower lip. Even though I had played for Jared a handful of times and I didn't completely get nervous, it still wasn't my favorite thing.

"What have you been doing all day?" I said trying to change the subject.

He smiled at me, shaking his head just a little. He knew my tactics.

"I had to work with my dad." He said. He ran a hand over his hair. I could see sawdust fall to his shoulders. "We just got home."

"You could have showered first." I had texted Jared throughout the day. "I didn't mean to make you think you had to call me."

I felt embarrassed and a little stupid. I had grown accustomed to Jared's calls and texts that when I hadn't heard from him by his usual time I started texting him. Nothing crazy just a couple "are you alive?" "What are you doing?" "Is your phone dead?" type of texts. When my phone finally lit up with his FaceTime request I could barely hold back my excitement. However now I felt silly and a little nuts that he had felt he had to call me immediately.

"I know I didn't." He said.

"You can go shower and call me later if you want." I offered. "Or talk to me later, tomorrow."

"I'm fine really." He laughed at me. "Hey."

I felt my face burn from embarrassment and I couldn't keep the cheesy smile that had overtaken my face under wraps. My heart was also going bananas in my chest.

"Hi." I couldn't stop my smile from spreading wider.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too." I said.

His smile matched mine. He looked so young and boyish with his hair a mess and his blue eyes bright and shining.

"Guess what?" I said, bouncing ever so slightly on the bed.

I was so excited to talk to Jared I had almost forgot part of the reason I had been slightly blowing up his phone all day.

"What?" He asked.

"Guess." I pushed.

When had the curtesy of actually guessing stopped?

"Hmm." I watched him stroke his chin, wrinkling his forehead like he was deep in thought. "I love you."

"Guess for real." I said.

He dropped his hand, sobering up a little. "Well you're still smiling so it must be good news. You're going home?"

I shook my head no. "Not that good."

"Your parents have released their cap on visitors so I can come see you every day?" He asked.

"I wish." I bit my lower lip as I waited for him to guess again.

"I don't know then, tell me."

"My blood count went up." I could barely hold my excitement back.

Having the process of engraftment start was a huge milestone. As long as everything else continued without a hitch id be out of the hospital in no time.

"That is awesome!" Jared met my enthusiasm easily.

I couldn't keep my excitement at bay. It was one of the few times I actually felt like there was hope. Like I wasn't just stumbling down a dark, painful path to my untimely death. The transplant was going to work. I was going to get better, one day at a time. I was going to have the life I dreamed of and I was going to grow old. I was going to survive, I knew it.

                       ----------------

LEVI POV

I took a swig of water, washing the turkey sandwich I had just inhaled down. I used the back of my hand to wipe the drop that leaked from the corner of my mouth.

"I'm glad you were able to hang out today." Emma said, slowly eating the sandwich I had made her.

She'd take a bite, set it down, wipe her mouth with a napkin as she chewed, say something and repeat. I had answered her each time with my mouth full of half chewed sandwich.

"Me too." I said.

"Did you and Maci work everything out?" She asked.

Her red hair was pulled to the side in a braid. I thought about kissing her exposed neck but stopped myself. A quick trip to the bathroom to rid my breath of turkey was probably the smarter course of action.

"Yeah." I smiled a little.

The rare occasion when Maci and I didn't get along sucked.

"Good. Does she want to meet him?" Emma took a bite of her sandwich, her green eyes watching me from behind the crust.

"No."

I couldn't hold back the relief that poured out of me every time I thought about it. If she had wanted I would have met him too. But I was completely fine going the rest of my life pretending he didn't exist.

"So I know there's still a lot going on with Maci and you and everything." Emma said. "But Bailey's cousin is have a New Year's Eve party tonight. I know it's short notice but would you want to go?"

"Yeah." I heard myself saying without a moments hesitation.

"Really?" Emma's eyes widened in shock, apparently she hadn't expected my quick answer either.

I shrugged, what did I have to lose? "Yeah, let me ask my parents but I don't see why not. We haven't done anything other than sit on a couch in a while. It'd be fun."

Emma leaned toward me, her sandwich still in hand and kissed me. I smiled against her lips, letting my hand cup the back of her neck. She tasted like turkey and mayo but I didn't care. I was just glad she was here, kissing me, turkey sandwich and all.

                          --------------

So the super awesome new cover was made by Aoraii ! I've been dying to change it but wanted to wait for an update so I could give credit where credit was due! Anyway I'm super pumped about it, not only because it looks sweet but also because no ones ever made me a cover for a story. ENJOY -DBRi