Saturday, September 23

I awoke the next morning butterflies still in my stomach.  The night before almost felt like a dream, I was still processing Skylar asking me on a date, well almost.  In a round about sort of way anyway.  I wiggled out from under my covers, straightening my pajama shorts and tank top.  I opened the door to my room, glancing down the hallway, Levi must have been asleep still, his door was still closed.  I shuffled down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Morning Daddy." I muttered, kissing him on the cheek before snatching a piece of his toast from off his plate. 

"Morning baby.  How was the concert last night?" He asked carrying on sipping his coffee and reading the newspaper.

I bit into the warm toast covered in melting butter.  "Really good, I had so much fun."

"Good, what are you plans for today?" He rattled the newspaper, standing it straight up again as he spoke.

"Well, my friend Skylar, he's in the band we went and saw last night, wants to hang out."

My dad set his paper down, peering at me over the rim of his reading glasses.  "Do we like this boy?"

My face instantly flushed, I told my dad everything but it still didn't help that it felt awkward telling him about a boy I was crushing on. 

"I'll take that as a yes." He said with a chuckle.  "What are you two going to do?"

"I don't know, he said he'd call me sometime today." I opened the fridge, grabbing a glass of juice before sitting down at one of the barstools. 

"Well just let us know okay?" He said as he glanced around the room.  "I need some advice Macin."

I also glanced around the room, trying to see what he was looking for.  I pinched my eyebrows together giving my dad the most confused look I could muster.  He never asks for my advice. 

"Okay?" I answered hesitantly.

"Your mom's birthday is in two weeks.  What do you think I should get her?"

I smiled, he was so cute.  So concerned about what gift would best suit mom and to think he still cared enough to worry about it after thirteen years too. 

"She always loves jewelry daddy."

"I feel like that is so predictable, I always get her jewelry." "He commented a look of distress making its way onto his face.

"Why don't you do something super romantic then, take her out to dinner, and surprise her with something?" I offered. 

"Yeah, that might work; I could ask my secretary for some good restaurants around here.  Maybe I'll get her a new engagement ring too, what do you think?  I mean the one she has is small and simple because I couldn't afford anything else at the time.  But maybe she doesn't want that for her birthday maybe I should wait for our anniversary, or maybe I should..."  He rambled on, completely forgetting I was there.

"Daddy!" I finally yelled over him.  I placed my hand on his arm which caused him to stop and look at me.  "Anything you get her, she's going to love."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Dad, I'm sure." I gave him a reassuring smile.

He wrapped his arm around me as I leaned into give him a kiss on the cheek.  "Macin, you're my favorite daughter."

"Daddy I'm your only daughter." I mumbled into his neck as I wrapped my arms around him.

He kissed me on my head before releasing me.  "Love you sweetheart."