3.

Derek looked in the mirror as he ran his gel covered hands through his hair. It was Saturday night, his first real weekend night at college. The night before had been filled with talks by the administration and lectures about alcohol policies, so this was the first chance they had to go out and have fun at college. He'd put on his good looking red shirt, and was now working the gel into his hair to create the suave look he had perfected over the summer in a desperate attempt to no longer be known as afro boy, like he had in high school.

"So I heard about a party across campus," Mark said as he came into the room, wearing his robe and running a towel through his hair. "I figure it's probably our best bet."

"Sounds good," Derek replied, wondering whether the girl from across the hall would be there. He had to find out her name. Right now she was the nameless enchanting beauty from across the hall, and he had to find out her name. Maybe if he saw her tonight, he could find out her name.

"So that blonde chick just came out of the girls' bathroom in her robe," Mark said as he shrugged into a dark green shirt. "Shortest damn thing I've ever seen in my life. If only it had been the redhead..."

Derek swallowed hard, torn between jealousy and pure desire as he pictured Meredith in a robe. "You think we'll run into them?" he asked.

"Maybe," Mark shrugged. "Remember, Shep, the key is to not be completely desperate. Play hard to get. It will make her want you more."

"Of course," Derek nodded. "Because that's gotten you so far."

Mark frowned. "She'll break," he said. "I saw her this morning and she winked at me. Winked, Shep. Soon as the girl gets some booze in her, she'll be begging me."

"Keep telling yourself that," Derek laughed as he reached for the door. "Ready?"

"Yup," Mark replied.

Derek pulled the door open and felt his breath catch in his throat as he saw the girls stepping out of their own room. She looked beautiful in a short black dress, her wavy hair falling in soft curls around her face. He allowed his gaze to roam over her toned arms and curved hips, down her long legs and black high heeled sandals before back to her eyes, which were sparkling as they met his.

"Hi," she said softly.

"Hi," Derek replied.

She turned to her friend and giggled slightly before they started to walk down the hall. Derek and Mark exchanged a glance before they turned to hurry after them, silently ageing that tag teaming would work best.

"Where are you going?" Mark asked Addison as he appeared at her side.

"No where that you're invited," Addison replied.

"Well, that's just hurtful," Derek said. Looking at Meredith, he asked, "You want me to come, right?"

She rolled her eyes. "I don't even know you," she said.

"You could know us," Mark said.

"You could," Derek agreed. "You need to know us to love us."

"We're very lovable," Mark added.

Meredith and Addison glanced at each other before they stopped walking and looked at the two men who had stopped a few feet in front of them when they'd realized that they were no longer following anyone.

"We're gonna go," Addison said, pulling Meredith along with her. "And I do believe it could be considered sexual harassment if you followed us."

They walked into the stairwell, their giggles traveling back to Derek and Mark as they stood defeated in the hallway. "This is war," Mark said, charging down the hallway, leaving Derek to stumble after him to catch up. "That girl cannot resist me. I refuse to give up."