66.

"Thanks for picking us up from the hospital," Derek sighed as Beth helped Meredith up the stairs. The downfall of their beautiful apartment that neither of them had noticed until was the lack of an elevator. And Derek's one good arm wasn't enough to assist Meredith up the stairs on one good leg.

"It's what we're here for," Nathan said as he set Meredith's bag down on the ground in front of their apartment. He unlocked the door and opened it for Derek to walk in. He stepped into the apartment, frowning when he saw a bed in the corner of the living room.

"There's a bed in a living room," Derek stated as he turned to look at Nathan.

Nathan laughed as he stepped forward to stand beside him. "We figured Mer's leg wouldn't like the stairs all the time," he said. "I know she's off the crutches but she's still in physical therapy so it's still going to hurt a lot, so...we figured for now this would be best for you."

"Thanks," Derek said with a smile. "Mer, look..." he turned to his wife, frowning when he saw her standing in the doorway, her eyes wide as she stared into the apartment. "Oh, Mer."

"Derek," she whispered, shaking her head. "He was here. He was here, and he was able to get in and...what if someone else can get in?"

"That won't happen," Derek shook his head. "We'll get a better lock for the door. A code lock, if that's what it takes, so that way even if someone manages to get the keys we guard with our lives, then only we'll know the code and be able to get in."

"Oh," Meredith nodded. "Yeah, that works."

"Oh, Mer," Derek sighed, pulling her close into a one armed hug. "I know you're scared."

"I just...Derek, what if something happens?" she whispered, leaning her weight into him.

"Nothing will happen," Derek whispered. "He's gone, Mer."

"I know," she whispered. "I know that, but still..."

"Come on," Derek said softly. "I won't leave your side, if that's what it takes to feel safe."

Meredith giggled as she limped into the apartment with him. She took a deep shaky breath, her fingers tightening around his shirt.

"Just breath," Derek whispered. "And we don't even have to go up to the bedroom yet."

Meredith giggled as she looked at Beth and Nathan. "You guys are amazing," she sighed. "Really, I have no idea what we would have done without you these past couple days."

"It's what friends are for," Beth smiled. "I know you'd be doing the same thing for us."

Nathan smiled as well as he stepped back to Beth. "And let us know if you need anything at all."

"Thanks," Meredith whispered. She leaned into Derek's strong arm as Beth and Nathan stepped out of the apartment. She inhaled deeply and closed her eyes tightly, smiling when she felt Derek lean down to breathe in the scent of her hair. No matter what was happening in her life, she was always comforted by the thought that Derek could calm herself down by simply being close to her.

"You okay?" he whispered.

"Hmm," Meredith sighed. "Can we sit?"

"Sure," Derek nodded, allowing her to lean on him as they made their way to the new bed in the corner. She sank onto the mattress and ran a hand along her leg, her eyes wide and slightly frightened.

"I'm sorry I'm so skittish," Meredith whispered. "I'm going to try to be normal again."

"Oh, Mer," Derek whispered, sinking down onto the bed beside her. "Take as long as you need to get over this. It's not going to be easy."