8.

"Okay, Derek, seriously, this is creepy," Meredith giggled as her hands went up to the blindfold covering her eyes. "I'm taking it off."

"I already told you, if you take it off, we're going back to school and I'm not feeding you," Derek replied from the driver's seat of his car.

"Fine," Meredith sighed, crossing her arms over her chest and sighing dramatically. "Do I even get a hint?"

"I already told you, it's where I was going to take you the time you tried to convince me that you don't need me in your life," Derek replied.

"That's not a hint, you wouldn't tell me that night either," Meredith argued, trying not to think about what her life would be like if Derek had let her push him away. As he laughed softly in the seat next to her, she realized how much she relied on his presence in her life. For the past three weeks since she'd gotten her cast off, the two of them had somehow become inseparable, except for the two classes they didn't have together. Since Addison was busy with her new romance with Mark, Derek had quickly become Meredith's best friend and confidant, and she wouldn't have had it any other way. She loved spending time with him, and she wasn't sure she would even be happy right now if she didn't spend as much time with him as she did.

"Okay, we're here," Derek said softly as she felt the car come to a stop.

"Good," Meredith replied, reaching up to tear the blind fold off her eyes. She looked around for a moment, taking in the cars that surrounded them before she realized exactly where they were and turned to look at Derek with wide eyes.

"Seriously?" she asked. "The drive in?"

"Sure," Derek replied, flashing her a smile. "What's wrong with the drive in?"

"Nothing," Meredith giggled. "Should I call you Fonzie?"

Derek frowned. "You're mocking me."

"Golly, I would never do that," Meredith gasped. "Are you going to ask me to wear your pin? Because I'm not sure I'm ready for that."

Derek shook his head as he reached for his door handle. "I'll have you know, Meredith Grey, that the drive in can be just as good as a regular movie theater. And no one will throw us out when you talk through the whole thing."

"Hey," Meredith frowned, getting out of the car and following her to the snack stand. "I do not talk through movies."

"Sure," Derek laughed. "That's why I knew how every single movie we've watched ends before it's over."

"That's...you're annoying," Meredith snapped, turning to walk back to the car. "You better get me a large popcorn."

"Bossy," Derek muttered under his breath as he stepped forward to hand the money to the cashier, nodding thanks as he picked up their popcorn and sodas.

"Thanks," Meredith said with a smile as Derek slid back into the car and handed her a bag of popcorn and a cup of soda. "So what movie are we watching? Something scary so you can act like a manly man and promise to protect me from harm?"

Derek rolled his eyes. "Of course not," he said. "I'll have you know that they're showing a classics marathon. Tonight they're showing Casablanca."

"Oh," Meredith said, turning to him with wide eyes. "That's..."

"Your favorite movie, I know," Derek grinned.

"How did you know that?" Meredith asked, her head suddenly swimming with desire to kiss him.

"Addison told me," Derek replied. "I figured you would like it."

"I do," Meredith breathed, hesitating for a moment before she reached over to squeeze his hand. "Thanks, Derek."