23.

"No," Derek dismissed the diamond earrings Mark was pointing to in the case of the jewelry store they'd spent the past hour in.

"Seriously, Shep?" Mark groaned. "It's just Christmas. Just get her something and let's go. I'm hungry."

"I can't just get her something," Derek sighed as he moved to study necklaces in the next case. "She's...Meredith. It has to be perfect."

Mark sighed as he followed Derek. "There!" he pointed to a pearl bracelet, a triumphant look on his face.

"No," Derek frowned. "I don't know that jewelry is the best gift for Mer."

"Then what the fuck are we doing in a jewelry store?" Mark boomed, looking around at the salespeople shooting him dirty looks. "Sorry."

Derek rolled his eyes. "I'm trying to figure something out," he said. "But she's so complicated. And she told me she doesn't need anything."

"Have Mom pick something out," Mark suggested. "Or one of the sisters."

"It has to come from me," Derek insisted. "And it has to be....perfect." his voice trailed off as he laid eyes on an emerald necklace, sparkling brightly from its space on the white gold chain.

"Did you finally find something?" Mark asked, hope lacing his tone. "Good, just buy it and we can get out of here."

Derek smiled as he looked down at the necklace. "Can I help you, sir?" a saleslady asked, approaching him from the other side of the counter with a smile on her face.

"Yes, I'd like to buy that necklace," Derek said with a soft smile. "For my girlfriend. She has...the most beautiful green eyes, and this would just make them sparkle even more."

"Shep, she doesn't need your life story," Mark rolled his eyes. "Just your money."

Derek ignored him as he paid for the necklace and opened the jewelry box that had been slid across the table for him. "She'll like it, right?" he asked Mark.

"Yes, she'll like it," Mark said. "Now let's go."

They walked out of the jewelry store and back into the mall, each of them feeling confident about the presents they had gotten for their girlfriends. Christmas was coming soon, and they had taken advantage of the girls studying for their first year seminar final to do some Christmas shopping.

"Is Mer coming home with you for winter break?" Mark asked as they neared the food court.

"Yeah," Derek nodded. "After New Year we'll probably go back up to Boston with Mom and Dad to pack up her house so it can officially be put on the market. I'm not sure how that's going to go, but that's why I wanted to wait until after Christmas."

Mark nodded. "She's in for her first real Christmas, huh?" he asked.

"What are you talking about?" Derek frowned. "She's had lots of Christmases before."

"Man, you're pretty dense," Mark shook his head. "You think Ellis Grey had time to play Santa?"

Derek stopped walking and frowned. "She's never had a Christmas," he stated.

"Don't worry," Mark shrugged. "One Christmas with the Shepherds makes up for a lifetime of missed ones. I know."

"I guess," Derek muttered, shaking his head as he started to walk again. "I can't believe I never thought of that."

Before Mark could respond, there was a familiar giggle penetrating the air, and a flash of red hair across the food court. He glanced at Mark and smiled as they both realized their girlfriends were likely to be doing the same thing they were. With a nod, they moved towards their table and sat down, smiling smugly at the girls.