69.

"Derbear!" Meredith giggled loudly as she saw her husband approaching her from across the room. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

Derek laughed as he reached out to steady her. "I ran back to our apartment," he said softly. "Nathan needed some more scotch."

"Oh," Meredith said. "Is there more tequila?"

"I think that's the last thing you need," Derek laughed as she stumbled into his arms.

"I'm not drunk," Meredith shook her head. "It's just these stupid heels. Why did you make me wear them?"

"Mer, you know better than anyone that I can't make you do anything," Derek said, guiding her to sit down on a barstool. "You wanted to wear them because it's New Year's eve."

"Oh," Meredith said, scrunching her nose as she tried to remember getting dressed. "I have a question."

"Shoot," Derek said, reaching to take the heels she had taken off and was holding out to him.

"Don't say that," Meredith shook her head. "Cause you were shot and it was scary. So don't say that."

"Sorry," Derek said, trying to hold back his laughter. "Ask away."

"That's better," Meredith nodded. "Why aren't we outside?"

"Because it's January?" Derek suggested. "And it's below zero outside."

"But it's New Year's," Meredith sighed. "And we're in New York City. We should be at the Rocking Clarking...whatever thing."

"I think it's a little late for that," Derek said. "We'll go next year if you want."

Meredith sighed as she looked at the people filling Beth and Nathan's apartment. "I don't know any of these people," she whispered loudly.

"I know," Derek sighed. "I think the point was so you would get to know them. That's why they invited us."

"Oh," Meredith said. "Derek?"

"Yes?"

"You're really hot."

"Oh," Derek laughed. "I know."

"You're like...really hot," Meredith continued. "And dreamy. Like before we were even dating and Addison and I called you McDreamy. Did I ever tell you about that? You're McDreamy and Mark's McSteamy?"

"I'm going to ignore the fact that you think Mark is steamy," Derek said.

"Meredith!" Beth's giggled carried over their conversation as she made her way over to them. "It's almost time."

"Time for what?"

"The ball to drop," Beth rolled her eyes. "And we get more champagne."

Meredith rolled her eyes. "Not me," she said. "Derek thinks I'm drunk." She motioned for Beth to come closer and whispered, "I think he's the drunk one."

Derek bit back a laugh as Beth examined him closely. She was obviously enjoying the alcohol just as much as his wife was. "Our husbands used to be fun," Beth stated.

"What, we're not fun anymore?" Nathan laughed as he handed Derek a beer. "I think I'm offended."

"Derek's still fun," Meredith supplied. "We went sledding at Christmas. And then I pelted him with a snowball. That was fun."

"Thanks Mer," Derek laughed. "I'm glad you think beating me up is fun."

"You're fun at other things too," she nodded. "Like the time I tried to make cookies and we had a fight with the dough you said was too salty. Or when you called me Dr. Shepherd the time we had sex on the ferryboat. That was fun."