51.

"What if I trip?" Meredith asked, turning to look at Liz. "I'm going to trip and fall and break my ankle and Derek will think I'm a completely lame ass loser..."

"Meredith, stop," Liz groaned. "And keep your head still, otherwise I will never get your hair right."

"But I'm going to trip," Meredith sighed. "And tear my dress and..."

"You're not going to trip," Addison said, leaning forward with eye shadow. "Close your eyes."

"I can't close my eyes!" Meredith gasped. "If I close my eyes I won't know where I'm going and then I'll...knock Derek's grandmother out of her chair or something."

"Oh my God," Caitlin rolled her eyes as she set her own eyeliner down. "She means now, Mer. So she can put your make up on. Obviously you're not going to close your eyes when you walk down the aisle."

"Oh," Meredith nodded, suddenly feeling stupid. "I'm sorry if I'm driving everyone crazy, I just...I'm terrified."

"It's okay, Mer, we get it," Kathleen said, resting her hand on her stomach. "But don't worry, Derek loves you. And that's what this is all about, right? Marrying Derek?"

"Derek," Meredith breathed. "Right. Right, it's about him."

"How are we doing?" Emma asked as she stepped into the room where the girls were getting ready.

"Emma," Meredith sighed in relief. "I mean Mom. I mean...crap."

"It's okay, dear," Emma said, leaning forward to kiss her check. "You have bigger things to worry about today."

"Oh," Meredith said. "Um...thank you." She paused for a moment before she asked, "Have you seen Derek?"

"I have," Emma nodded. "He's very excited."

"Good, that's good," Meredith said. "Because...I miss him. It's stupid and pathetic but I hate that you Shepherds are so set on tradition that I couldn't even spend the night with him last night."

"It's not the end of the world," Nancy laughed. "And don't pretend that you both didn't try to sneak out and see each other. You can't be mad if Liz falls asleep at the altar today, she was up all night making sure you two weren't sneaking around."

Meredith giggled. "I thought it was funny," she said. "I've never seen Derek try to scale a building before."

"You'd think he would have learned something after he tried to sneak out when he was in high school," Emma sighed. "Anyways, I have to get back to Derek. I promised him that I would make sure you're alright."

"You're going to see him?" Meredith asked, standing suddenly.

"Meredith," Liz sighed. "You have to stop moving, or you're going to get married without styled hair."

Meredith ignored her as she opened her purse. "Can you give these to him?" she asked, handing Emma a small jewelry box. "I wanted to give them to him last night, but your daughters are insane and I didn't get the chance, but I want him to wear them at the wedding, so...can you just give them to him?"

Emma smiled as she reached out to take the box. "Of course, dear," she smiled. "Do you mind if I look?"

"No, of course not," Meredith smiled.

Emma opened the box, smiling as she looked down at the golden cuff links. "Oh, Meredith..." she whispered. "They're beautiful. Derek will love them."

"You think so?" Meredith asked. "Because I saw them, and I thought...they have the claddagh symbol on them. It means love, friendship, and loyalty, and I looked up where Michael's family is from in Ireland and had them special made there and sent over, because I figured...." She took a deep breath as she inhaled sharply, trying not to cry. "I figured Derek would want to have part of his dad here with him today."