39.

Derek smiled widely as he entered his mother's house, glad to be home for the first time in too long. Over the past two years, school had gotten completely out of control, and he hadn't been able to make it home as much as he had wanted. But now it was a week before the start of his senior year of college, and his mother had called, insisting that he come home so she could spend some time with him. Meredith hadn't been able to get time away from her summer internship at the doctor's office on campus, and although he would miss her, he was looking forward to having some time alone with his mother. It would give him the chance to do something that he'd been wanting to do for a long time.

"Derek?" Emma's voice called as she walked out of the kitchen, a wide smile on her face. "Oh, dear, it's so good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, Mom," Derek said, reaching forward to hug her tightly. "I'm sorry I've been so busy. It's just school and applying to med school...it's a lot."

"I know how it is," Emma nodded with a smile as she walked into the kitchen. "How's Meredith?"

"She's good," Derek said with a nod as he settled onto a stool. "She feels bad that she couldn't come, but she just couldn't get away from the office."

"It's okay," Emma said with a smile. "To be honest, I'm glad to get to you to myself for a little while."

Derek smiled softly as he reached for a carrot. "Sorry, I know we're kind of a packaged deal these days," he said. "She really doesn't have anyone else."

"Don't be ridiculous, Derek," Emma shook her head. "You know I love that girl like she's my own daughter. But you're my only son, and I do miss you a lot."

Derek smiled. "I miss you too," he said. "If we go to Columbia for med school, hopefully we'll be able to make it home more."

"Hmmm," Emma said with a nod. "Have you gotten your MCAS scores yet?"

Derek laughed as he shook his head slightly. "I did well," he nodded. "Mer did better than me, of course. But you'll never tell Mark that."

"Of course not," Emma said, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

Derek looked at her closely as she moved around the kitchen. "How are you doing, Mom?" he asked softly. "With Liz gone, and only Caitlin home...it must be pretty quiet around here."

"It is," Emma said with a nod. "But I'm fine, dear. I...things are fine."

Derek frowned. "Liz told me last week that Mr. Phillips asked you out again, but you said no," he said. "Why won't you give him a chance?"

Emma rolled her eyes as she dropped a plate onto the counter. "I swear, you and your siblings," she sighed. "Your father is still the love of my life. That will never change."

"Dad's been gone for nearly three years, Mom," Derek said softly. "Caitlin's in high school and the rest of us are on our own. What's wrong with just having some companionship?"

Emma stared at him for a moment. "Derek, I can't betray your father," she whispered.

Derek sighed as he ran a hand over his face. He knew that this wasn't the time to fight about this again. "Sorry, Mom," he murmured.

Emma smiled softly as she moved around him to set dinner on the table. "It's alright, dear," she said. "I know you're just watching out for me. But I can't. Not yet."

"It's okay, Mom," Derek said as he walked over to the table, kissing her cheek quickly as he moved to sit down beside her. They ate in comfortable silence for a moment before Derek set his fork down and said, "I want to propose to Meredith."