46.

"Oh Meredith," Emma breathed as Meredith stepped out of the bathroom in her wedding dress. "You look beautiful."

"Really?" Meredith asked, turning to look at herself in the mirror.

"Absolutely stunning," Emma nodded. "Derek is going to love it."

"Good," Meredith nodded. "Thank you for keeping the dress here. Derek thinks it's in Addison's closet, Mark's caught him searching for it for weeks."

Emma smiled. "It still fits alright?' she asked. "You don't need anything altered?"

"No, I don't think so," Meredith replied, smoothing her hands over the dress. "It feels perfect. I never want to take this off."

"Well, you're going to have to," Emma laughed. "Derek will be home from visiting his father soon, he can't see you."

"I know," Meredith sighed. "I just...it feels so wonderful."

Emma moved forward to hug Meredith gently. "I know, dear," she said. "But we've got to get dinner on the way. And we can't have you spilling anything on the dress."

Meredith giggled. "Knowing me that would probably happen," she said, frowning after a moment before she coughed loudly.

"Are you feeling okay?" Emma asked.

"Just a cold," Meredith sighed. "I can't be getting sick. There's too much to do."

"Alright," Emma nodded, pointing Meredith towards the bathroom adjacent to her bedroom. "Go ahead, dear."

"I'll be down in a few minutes," Meredith said. She stood for a moment, raising a hand to her head before she shook her head slightly and moved towards the bathroom.

"Are you alright?" Emma asked, concern lacing her voice.

"Hmm," Meredith nodded. "Just dizzy. I probably just need to eat."

Emma nodded suspiciously, eyeing Meredith closely as she closed the door behind her. She knew Meredith probably wouldn't tell anyone if she wasn't feeling well, and there was something about the way she was acting that made her wonder if the poor girl was running herself into the ground.

She made her way downstairs, smiling as she saw her son sitting at the kitchen table with Caitlin. "Hello, dear," she said, leaning down to kiss his cheek gently.

"Hey Mom," Derek said, standing to hug her properly. "Where's Mer?"

"It's nice to see you too, dear," Emma laughed as she moved around him towards the stove. "She's upstairs, she'll be down in a few moments."

"Good," Derek nodded. "Caitlin was telling me that Kath had a sonogram yesterday?"

"Yes," Emma said, her eyes immediately shining. "It seems that you are about to be the proud uncle of a beautiful niece."

"A girl?" Derek groaned. "Man, I was hoping the next generation would have some hope for at least a little bit of testosterone in this place."

"Watch your mouth, Derek Christopher," Emma warned. "The baby will be beautiful, and you'll adore her."

"I know," Derek sighed. "I guess it's up to me to have boys."

Before Emma could respond, Meredith entered the kitchen, a hand over her mouth as she coughed harshly. Derek's smile immediately turned into a frown as he noticed the miserable expression on her face. "What's wrong?" he asked, jumping out of his chair to make his way over to her. "Mer, are you okay?"

She groaned in response as she cuddled into his arms and buried her face in his shirt. "Mm fine," she murmured.

Derek's worried eyes met his mother's and he gently reached down to stroke her face, searching for any trace of a fever. When he felt the flush of her skin against his fingertips, he immediately wrapped his arms tighter around her and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "Mer, you have a fever," he murmured.